What does IP stand for in gaming terms?

Scapegoat

Well-known Member
I have read the term IP many times in magazines about games where a developer is creating a new game rather than a sequel i.e. its not a franchise game but (shock, horror) and new idea.

What does it stand for? I hate acronyms and IMO they should be banned ;)
 

danwalton

Active Member
AFAIK it stands for Intellectual Property ;)
 

danwalton

Active Member
ps. that's the first and last time i'll ever write that :)
 

dodger747

Well-known Member
danwalton said:
AFAIK it stands for Intellectual Property ;)

Indeed.

Have a look at the start of a dvd. The legal disclaimer notice tells you all about who owns the IP and what rights they have given the consumer to use it.

You may notice that you actually never own a game/dvd/cd etc...
 

daKlone

Active Member
Ah, the Dreaded IPR (Intellectual Property Rights)...
 

Dan L

Active Member
Scapegoat said:
I have read the term IP many times in magazines about games where a developer is creating a new game rather than a sequel i.e. its not a franchise game but (shock, horror) and new idea.

What does it stand for? I hate acronyms and IMO they should be banned ;)

Trust me, when you talk about IPs on a daily basis you praise the lord for acronyms.
 

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
dodger747 said:
Indeed.

Have a look at the start of a dvd. The legal disclaimer notice tells you all about who owns the IP and what rights they have given the consumer to use it.

You may notice that you actually never own a game/dvd/cd etc...

True and not true at the same time. The developer retains all rights to the game and how it can be used but when you buy a game you buy a license to use the game for personal use and that copy of it becomes your property. I.e. the deveopler has no right to come into your home and take the actual game back as that copy belongs to you. The only situation where this may be possible is if you have been proven to be breaching copywrite - i.e renting the game, making copies of it etc.

So in short - the developer retains the rights of the intellectual property (i.e. can say how the game, film can be used within reason such as making it illegal to copy or rent the title) but they do not own your legal copy of the film of game and if you like you can smash up your copy and they can't charge you anymore for it or sue you in any way. It is yours to use within the law. :)
 

danmoz

Active Member
CAS FAN said:
True and not true at the same time. The developer retains all rights to the game and how it can be used but when you buy a game you buy a license to use the game for personal use and that copy of it becomes your property. I.e. the deveopler has no right to come into your home and take the actual game back as that copy belongs to you. The only situation where this may be possible is if you have been proven to be breaching copywrite - i.e renting the game, making copies of it etc.

So in short - the developer retains the rights of the intellectual property (i.e. can say how the game, film can be used within reason such as making it illegal to copy or rent the title) but they do not own your legal copy of the film of game and if you like you can smash up your copy and they can't charge you anymore for it or sue you in any way. It is yours to use within the law. :)

Ah, except it's not actually that simple anymore is it? If the above was true then modchips wouldn't be illegal and we'd be free to do whatever we wish with the PS2's / Xbox's we 'own'
 

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
modchips arent illegal. its what you do with the chip that is illegal. i.e chipping an xbox then selling it is illegal, ESSPECIALLY if it includes lots of ripped off stuff.

also when owning a copy of a film/game, you are entitled by UK law to have one backup on the same type of media. you are allowed to create it yourself but you are not allowed to break encryption.

so if MS really are bringing dvd ripping to vista. then they will have to rip the dvd bit for bit and play back from the ISO... which has to be reburned to disc...
 

bishman

Well-known Member
Oakey said:
Ah, except it's not actually that simple anymore is it? If the above was true then modchips wouldn't be illegal and we'd be free to do whatever we wish with the PS2's / Xbox's we 'own'
Except that one of a modchips main features allows copied games to be played and therefore infringes on peoples IP's.
 

bishman

Well-known Member
JagoPlasma said:
modchips arent illegal. its what you do with the chip that is illegal. i.e chipping an xbox then selling it is illegal, ESSPECIALLY if it includes lots of ripped off stuff.
Wasn't there something with Sony and the PS2 where it was deemed illegal for a modchip to be used?
 

dodger747

Well-known Member
Yeah, there a million proviso's on property ownership on what you can and can not do, but it is all very complicated and very boring:boring: :boring:

I just gave a very basic overview...:thumbsup:
 

colinwheeler

Active Member
I am not sure about the law here in the UK but know that in the US reverse engineering or modifying a lot of products is against the EULA and therefore against the law as you agree to the EULA when you use the product.
 

Steve-L

Well-known Member
bishman said:
Wasn't there something with Sony and the PS2 where it was deemed illegal for a modchip to be used?

Yes - that was the Messiah chip - it was deemed illegal in the UK.

EDIT: LINKY
 

danmoz

Active Member
So that's exactly my point then. Sure, it can be used to play pirated games but a lot of people like to chip their Xbox to use it as a media centre. However, chipping your hardware is illegal so we're not exactly free to do as we please are we?

That said, there have been setbacks. Earlier this year, the Italian court ruled that mod chips are legal on the basis that it's up to the user, not Sony, how they use their PS2. It even went so far as to name mod chips as crucial tools to "avoid monopolistic positions".

At least the Italians have the right idea.

Also, Ipods are legal, what you do with it may very well not be (unless you repurchase ALL your music from itunes and the like) :p
 

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Oakey said:
Ah, except it's not actually that simple anymore is it? If the above was true then modchips wouldn't be illegal and we'd be free to do whatever we wish with the PS2's / Xbox's we 'own'

It is exactly that simple - you can use your games however you want as long as it's not against the law. A games firm has no right whatsoever to come into your house and take your games (even if the intellectual property rights belong to them) - they have sold that copy to you and it is 100% yours to use in a lawful way.
 

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
i think the playstation problem was more to do with using hacked bioses.

in italy as said above, and now in austrailia. mod chips are legal. over here you are allowed to do whatever you like with something you own. your just not allowed to sell it afterwards in that condition
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom