1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does HD ready mean?!!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Lizzybif, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Admitting my ignorance here but I'm sure there are many more like me who don't even know what this means? :confused:

I was watching someone sell a TV on QVC last night and he said that if a TV wasn't HD ready that we wouldn't be able to watch some transmissions as they would be copywright?

How are on earth are 'non-technincal' people like me who just want to watch a good clear TV picture supposed to know this? Choosing a TV these days is getting really confusing!!!! Also aren't HD ready TV's very expensive so how is everyone supposed to afford them?

I am very pleased with TV I have just now but don't know what I should do?!!!!

Liz

PS He also said that a black surround is best as it doesn't reflect and so gives a better picture?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    QVC the fountain of good advice, i didnt see the sales pitch seems they have just enough of truth and lies in the mix to confuse "HD ready" is a standard set out by the EICTA (industry body) to simplify life for consumers. High Definition TV requires certain hardware to display the picture and higher specs to display the picture at its optimum, there is a new generation of Copy protection for HIDef media called HDCP HDCP is an itegral part of HDMI (Hi Definintion Media Intefrace) standard but can be applied to DVi-D signals now this is all irrelavent if you dont want to watch HiDef material, its not like in 3 years all broadcasts will be HiDef or anthying like that Hi dEf has been aroud in Japan and Korea since they hosted the world cup and has been in th US for a few years too, SKy are alledging to launch HD via satellite in the next 6 months but at a cost on top of Sky's normal SD packages. The replacement for DVD Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will also be capable of HiDef Video...........hope this helps for more info see the Plasma screen FAQ and the LCD TV FAQ's

3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    HD ready is merely a badge that says a display conforms to an agreed set of standards and will show a High Definition signal. Confusingly it doesn't mean that the display actually has to be what most of us consider to be High Definition resolution (HD Really anyone?)

This doesn't apply to what you're watching now (and if you've got QVC then you're OK for the forthcoming analogue shut down too) but could have a bearing if you wish to 'upgrade' to a Hi-Def setup - especially from Sky when it becomes available.

At the moment this should be a consideration when you replace your set rather than a reason to replace it. The black surround helps the percieved contrast of the set - its the screen that gets affected by reflections.

4. Lizzybif

Lizzybif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks both!! So basically I can just chill out and carry on as I am for now and when I need to replace the TV maybe I should consider an HD ready TV then in which case I will be back asking for your advice!!!! :thumbsup:
    Would HD programmes only be broadcast through Sky?

With re digital switch off I don't know what to do if there are two TV programmes on at the same time which I want to watch as, at the moment, I can record from analogue or Freeview.

With re reflections on the TV Screen is it merely a case of positioning the TV correctly to avoid this? I hate being able to see myself watching the TV!!!!!!! :eek:

Thanks again!

Liz

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    diital recorders are coming out units that record to hard drives (pace twin, inverto humax PVR) and DVD recorders Panny ES20 and a SONY. So wait till the switch off buy a new box and you will be able to record FV and watch it. As for the bezel if you look closely all silver plasmas have an inner black bezel for this reason. I do however think black is much sexier than silver..............