Quantcast

What does everyone do with there movies?

screemer

Just wondering what everyones workflow is, especially Mac users. I am ready to take the plunge, possibly with the SR11 but i am curious as to what i will actually do with the recordings. i will use iMovie 08 to put them on to my mac and edit but then what? I have seen that a few minutes of top quality footage takes up over 1Gb of hard drive space. Ouch!!! Do i then burn it to disc? How do i get it to DVD and if i do, is there any point in shooting in top quality??

rhubarbe

Banned
Well, I chuck away any clips that I don't like and move the rest, unedited, in sequence to a NAS in my loft.

Then I play them on my HDTV as .MTS files through a Popcornhour.

Easy peasy.

screemer

but what about if i dont have a PCH?

redsox_mark

Novice Member
I have a HDV cam, so I edit, create a high def master of my edit back on tape, and also create standard def DVD versions to share with family/friends.
Eventually I plan to get a bluray burner, and create Blu-ray discs.

With an AVCHD cam, you can edit and create AVCHD discs or Bluray discs, or even data discs which can play on devices like the PS3. You can also downconvert to make standard def DVDs; yes that reduces the quality, but is still the easiest way to share with others.

screemer

So wot can i do thats HD that can play on my PS3. I want to be able to play back HiDef footage i have taken and edited on my Mac.

Three6ty

Hi,
I import and edit in Imovie 08 at the moment, but have got Final cut express 4.0 so will be using that from now on. It seems it will take some learning though.
Anyhow after editing I export as a Quicktime hd file which can be watched on my Mac. Then I use Toast 9 to burn to a DVD and watch on my PS3, again as HD. All simple to do and works a treat.
Cheers, Rich

screemer

Ahh right, thats sounds better. So its quicktime HD then toast 9 to DVD but in HD? What camera do u use?

screemer

Hi,
I import and edit in Imovie 08 at the moment, but have got Final cut express 4.0 so will be using that from now on. It seems it will take some learning though.
Anyhow after editing I export as a Quicktime hd file which can be watched on my Mac. Then I use Toast 9 to burn to a DVD and watch on my PS3, again as HD. All simple to do and works a treat.
Cheers, Rich
so do you have the Toast BD/HD plugin for that then?

mmace

Novice Member
I capture to the PC, edit it down to watchable footage and when I have enough I burn them to Blu-ray (with menu etc)
I delete all footage off the PC to save space but I keep the original tapes, just in case

At the moment I've got about 3TB of NAS space, a bunch of portable discs....

My workflow is:
1. Make image of footage (mini-DVD, and now AVCHD Memorystick)
2. Copy image on an external 2.5" portable drive and leave it untouched; those are my negatives
3. Import from the image on my desktop into iMovie in events
4. Now delete the image from my desktop and format the memory card, dvd for re-use
5. Edit movie/clips together from my local hard drive
6. Export movie using Quicktime for use on AppleTV
7. Run through MetaX and set the appropriate MetaData for grouping in iTunes and AppleTV
8. Copy to my NAS and link to iTunes
9. Move the iMovie events to an external hard drive in iMovie for more space on local drive

Sometimes I make DVD's, again through iMovie and just share the project or select through Media in iDVD, but then tend to work off the external disks...

I've also stored at another location more disk space (it is so cheap now) on which once a month ish I make an offsite copy of my 'negatives'.....

I'm seriously considering a firewire desktop attached storage device with raid to reduce my number of portable hard drives for the iMovie events etc....

screemer

would time capsule work?

would time capsule work?
Work for what!?

As a source to store the file's and link back to iTunes, to then either stream or sync with AppleTV? Yes most definitely....

As a scratch disk to do some video editing over the network? I wouldn't even consider trying it....

Trending threads

Top Bottom