What does ES\EX mean?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PerfectBlue97, Sep 6, 2012.

1. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have a Samsung amp, and I'm having trouble configuring it.

The manual mentions changing the ES\EX settings.

I've found this on the menu, and I can change the settings OK, but I don't actually know what ES\EX stands for.

Any ideas?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,863
    The ES/EX are the 6th channels associated with some forms of Dolby and DTS formatted audio.

The Dolby Digital Surround EX format (DD-EX) adds a rear center channel. DTS-ES Matrix format also adds a rear center channel. To fully utilise either or both of these formats you need a compatible decoder to extract the rear center channel if present in the encoded audio. The matrixed channel is phase matrixed into the two standard rear channels in the same way Dolby Surround is matrixed into standard stereo channels. Without such a decoder you'd simply get 5.1 audio. There is also DTS-ES Discrete, which adds a full-bandwidth discrete rear center channel in an extension stream which is used by DTS ES Discrete decoders but ignored by older DTS decoders. DTS-ES decoders include DTS Neo:6, which is not an encoding format but a matrix decoding process that provides 5 or 6 channels.

Without knowing the specifics of your amp I'd suggest the setting is in relation to how your amp handles the ES and EX encoded formats when present.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  3. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51

That makes sense given the trouble that I'm having (I changed a setting, I don't know which, and now it won't allow me to setup my surround back left\right speakers for full 7.1).

Do ES and EX actually translate to something in the real world (ES = Extra speakers? Entertainment Setting? Enhanced Surround?)

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,902
    Extended Surround. EX for Dolby/THX formats. ES for DTS.

5. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Logical.

6. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have this Samsung Amp (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...12134222578/HW-C700-C770S-C770BS-XAC_0616.pdf)

A few days ago I managed to change a settings (I don't know which one), and now I cannot get the rear (Surround Back Left\Right) speakers to function.

When you go to the setup screen they are set to None, and it won't allow you to change them to Small (Which is what they used to be).

I've tried turning ES\EX on\Off, and turning the Surround High settings on\off. As well as adjusting the Pro Logic II settings. But whatever combination I try I still cannot activate the speakers.

The used to be OK.

7. Neurologicass

Neurologicass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing you can try.....it works on my A/V. Put the sound format on Prologic IIx- go it to the setup menu and go to speaker size, check the speaker sizes and look to see if you have a Fronth setting ( F H L ), if so, switch it to none. Then go back to Surround Back size and set to small. Then exit the setup menu....

8. Neurologicass

Neurologicass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And also leave the ES/EX setting on...

9. Neurologicass

Neurologicass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if you have the Prologic IIz, make sure it is off.. cause if it gets turned on then the fronth setting is turned back on every time, and you will have to go back to step one every time to get the surround back to work.:suicide: