1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does DB figure on display mean?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Chris23, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A stupid question from someone who learnt his hi fi before lcd displays.

On the display for my receiver it shows both a volume level and a Db figure which starts as a negative and then becomes a positive as volume is increased.

I know what decibels are but what do the numbers mean and what is the significance of going from negative to positive as I turn the volume up? I am concerned that 0Db might be maximum power level & beyond that I am overloading the amp.

:lease:

2. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If set up with a SPL meter to either 75 or 85db, depending what you are useing to callibrate with...this would be setup with the amp on 00db.
    Then 00db (0db) would be the reference point to how loud most films are supposed to be played at.
    But this is too loud for 95% of people so, you would use a lower setting....say -15db.....so you would be listerning to it at -15db below reference.
    Although just how accurate the displays are, i dont know.

I'm sure someone will be along soon, to give you a more technical explanation.

3. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you for that.

My immediate reaction is that the Db figure is pretty meaningless then! The sound level depends so much on the speakers, room etc that it is only a wild guess. I assume it is based purely on the output level of the amp?

At least if I know that it is meaningless I can ignore it!

Yes the 0Db is louder than quiet listening but below what I like for hevy rock concert dvd's.

Thanks again.

4. Chris23

Chris23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you for that.

My immediate reaction is that the Db figure is pretty meaningless then! The sound level depends so much on the speakers, room etc that it is only a wild guess. I assume it is based purely on the output level of the amp?

At least if I know that it is meaningless I can ignore it!

Yes the 0Db is louder than quiet listening but below what I like for hevy rock concert dvd's.

Thanks again.

5. ridd

ridd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can ignore it. But then you can also set up your kit so it means something.
    The choice is as always YOURS.