what does a dreambox do???

According to Wiki, it is "possible to support...audio data by incorporating the audio in the TMDS signal. Because DVI displays typically have no sound capabilities, a DVI to HDMI adapter/cable can then be used to connect the device to an HDMI display"

I'm sure there are a fair few DM800 owners who can confirm this is the case when used with the adaptor.

What I want to know is this...

Specifically what makes the Dreambox 800 HD better than say a Technomate 6900 HD? Is it actually possible of receiving more channels? Perhaps, to rephrase, what are the limitations of a Technomate over the Dreambox? If the answer is (as I likely expect) about being able to utilise 'special features' then could someone PM me because my googling skills have proved pretty fruitless so far!

If someone can convince me of the benefits then I may well be in the market for a Dreambox 800 HD soon. 1 Install, you're not far from me! Perhaps I'll call upon your services for a West London install? :D

not a problem i can help you out im actually just about to go to ealing now, if anyone else requires any help on this kind of thing check out my areas covered page areas covered | 1install this will tell you how far we operate :thumbsup:

Feel free to add me to that list :p.
Its not simple at all. Well it is if your only interested in free to air channels.
To do sharing you will need to port forward, open a dyndns host, and get around having to ftp to the box every 2mins. Then you need to know how cc.am works and what you need to do. Trust me it took me 2days to get anything to clear.

Right.. I understand from all that what FTP and port forward is but opening a dyndns host? cc.am? this does sound like something that requires a fair amount of techchie knowhow.

I surely will need some help here! :)

There`s plenty of help out there (and on here). The dyndns bit is needed if you don`t have a static IP address to give a fixed address to connect to your box. You register an address which then points and keeps up with your dynamic IP. You just sign up at the website. This is useful when accessing your dreambox from outside your local network, at work etc and other legitimate access to your unit. Some people also choose to use it to allow other dreamboxes to connect to their unit and cardshare, which is of course illegal.
Cccam is an emulator which runs on your dreambox and can be used to allow the dreambox to read official subscription cards. It can also be used for other less legitimate purposes as has been mentioned previously

Last edited:
It's a bit of a learning curve, and it depends if you are prepared to put some time in, but well worth the effort.
There is plenty of help about, which has been stated, and no question is a dumb question when you are starting out.
3 months down the line you will be thinking why did I have so many doubts and holly **** I really screwed a few times, but that is part of the adventure. We've all been there.

Don't be frightened off by the 'assumed' complexity of a Dreambox

Its as complex as you want it to be and anyone with just a little knowledge of networking from the point of view of recognising IP addresses, using FTP, etc shouldn't have a problem and will be up and running quickly

I too found the whole thing daunting at first but I've a lot of gadgets and have to say it has to be my most favourite second to my iPhone.

The whole point of the Dreambox is in its fexibility but as with many things the benefit of flexibity comes with some added complexity. That's to say you can have a very simple config/setup with a Dreambox running in a matter of mins. However most people then tweak their boxes and to be honest never stop tweaking them which sometimes introduces the more complex configurations mentioned in this thread.

If you get one and need assistance that are lots of people on Avforums willing to help out including myself

i echo this
i love to tinker and once i have a dm800 or dm500
i guarantee i will either have mastered it or broken it within a weekend
:D
i will gladly pass on any learnings good or bad

i echo this
i love to tinker and once i have a dm800 or dm500
i guarantee i will either have mastered it or broken it within a weekend

That the great thing about DM, you won't mess it up, worse that can happen is you can put it in the loop. Easy to sort out with dreamup though. As i've found out a few times.:D

I also have been toying with the idea of getting a dreambox but am a little scared I wont be able to get the full benefit of it as Im not a computer whizz kid :D so I may as well ask a few (probably stupid) questions first , I have a sky dish at moment , would that be ok to use with dreambox or do I need motorised dish ?
Cheers Ricky...

I also have been toying with the idea of getting a dreambox but am a little scared I wont be able to get the full benefit of it as Im not a computer whizz kid :D so I may as well ask a few (probably stupid) questions first , I have a sky dish at moment , would that be ok to use with dreambox or do I need motorised dish ?
Cheers Ricky...

Your dish is pointed at the Astra2/Eurobird satellites at 28.2e. Connecting it to a dreambox will allow you to view the free channels on that satelllite, and you can make it work with an official sky card to view your sky channels as well. There`s very little else on those satellites so while it would "work" and you could access features such as streaming the channels across your network (and beyond) you`d unlock a lot more possibilities by investing in a motorised dish (or even a single dish with a multi lnb setup)

I cant get over my dm..day on day i find myself tweakin the settings, apps and config. You cannot rely on a tacky clone to last you any longer than 2years. Get a clone to get use to it. If you like it put aside some money for a new better dreambox once your clone breaks down...

Your dish is pointed at the Astra2/Eurobird satellites at 28.2e. Connecting it to a dreambox will allow you to view the free channels on that satelllite, and you can make it work with an official sky card to view your sky channels as well. There`s very little else on those satellites so while it would "work" and you could access features such as streaming the channels across your network (and beyond) you`d unlock a lot more possibilities by investing in a motorised dish (or even a single dish with a multi lnb setup)
Thanks for the reply, could you explain how a single dish with a multi lnb would work any different from my sky dish with quad lnb and also where would I be able to buy and what sort of price would get me a motorised dish that I would need.

Thanks for the reply, could you explain how a single dish with a multi lnb would work any different from my sky dish with quad lnb and also where would I be able to buy and what sort of price would get me a motorised dish that I would need.

Your sky dish has 1 lnb with 4 outputs, you can get brackets for bigger dishes to which you attach 2 or more separate lnbs, to enable you to receive signals from more than one satellite without having to move the dish. There are loads of sellers of dishes etc on the web, I would recommend going for the biggest at least 80cm dish, probably better with 90-100 though. A dish and motor would probably set you back about £100-150.

Hi if you are looking to get a dreambox and a motorised dish installed i can supply and install it all for you and load all the software on it and teach you how to use it for a good price if you are in the area that i cover areas covered by us on a daily basis | 1install this is the areas that i cover in the link.

I personally think a motorised dish is much better than having a dish with 2-3 lnb's on it looking at different satellites and plus for the size of dish you need to put 2-3 lnb's on it you can pick up alot more satellites with a motor:D

I couldn't find anyone to give me a competitive enough quote on fitting a motorised 1m dish which is what I really wanted. So did the following

- left my sky dish pointing at Astra 28.8E
- installed an 80cm dish with monobloc pointing at Hotbird and Astra 19.2E
- use an A/B switch to switch between the 28.8E or hotbird/19.2E feeds

Now I know people don't recommend using monobloc, etc, etc and can be a pain to switch using a manual A/B switch so upgraded to a remote controlled one but its been working for over 6months sweet as and considering a friend gave me the 80cm dish with monobloc and had some cable its cost only the A/B switch (£10 for manual switch) Not bad considering I now pick up 3 satellites :thumbsup:

Hi if you are looking to get a dreambox and a motorised dish installed i can supply and install it all for you and load all the software on it and teach you how to use it for a good price if you are in the area that i cover areas covered by us on a daily basis | 1install this is the areas that i cover in the link.

I personally think a motorised dish is much better than having a dish with 2-3 lnb's on it looking at different satellites and plus for the size of dish you need to put 2-3 lnb's on it you can pick up alot more satellites with a motor:D

It looks like motorised is the way to go. Thanks for your good advice.

I wish I was closer but I am hundreds of miles away :(

Deepest Darkest Scotland maybe a little bit too far :D
Also Reading burst my football coupon last weekend :D

Deepest Darkest Scotland maybe a little bit too far :D
Also Reading burst my football coupon last weekend :D

Ha HA i had £20 on a 2-0 will for Reading, Typical naa i dont fancy going to scotland to be hinest not for a motorised install maybe something a bit bigger, i nkow why dont you get 5 of your mates intrested tell them that you know this good reliable company called 1install that will come up ill set you all up and then you can all take me out on the beer! :lease::oops:

Ha HA i had £20 on a 2-0 will for Reading, Typical naa i dont fancy going to scotland to be hinest not for a motorised install maybe something a bit bigger, i nkow why dont you get 5 of your mates intrested tell them that you know this good reliable company called 1install that will come up ill set you all up and then you can all take me out on the beer! :lease::oops:
No worries I will keep you in mind :D as for the Reading im giving them the swerve this weekend :D saving for a motorised dish and dreambox :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom