What does a Badger burrow look like?

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Got home from a business trip abroad looked out of the bedroom window and - wtf is that.

There is a big excavation in the middle of the lawn. Asked my wife and she said she was shocked too, just appeared over night.

My first thought was a dog, but we don't have any nearby, and besides seen lots of garden ruined by dogs but never anything as big or localised as that.

Looking more closely it seems to be a burrow, does look like a tunnel entrance.

As for the size, the total excavation is roughly 14" x 18" and the centre hole is about 6" x 14".

If it wasn't a dog the only thing I can think big enough to do that is a badger.

We do have mature woods at the back of the garden, but the fence is quite comprehensive all round so I wouldn't have thought a badger could get in. How extensive are there setts, do they travel underground?

What do you think.

IMG_0269.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Could be a calapsed mole tunnel.

Seen plenty of mole mounds and they have all been pretty much round and about 9" in diameter.

This is rectangular and much bigger. It also looks like like hefty paws/claw work, not the fine work you get with moles.

Also you tend to see a few mole holes fairly close to each other, not just one in the middle of a garden.

Cheers,

Nigel

Seen plenty of mole mounds and they have all been pretty much round and about 9" in diameter.

This is rectangular and much bigger. It also looks like like hefty paws/claw work, not the fine work you get with moles.

Also you tend to see a few mole holes fairly close to each other, not just one in the middle of a garden.

Cheers,

Nigel
Possible badger then.

How to Recognise a Badger Sett

Put some peanuts out on your lawn, sit and watch around dusk. Polecats will also dig up lawns to get at grubs.

I think aVdub called it: they are snuffle holes as they dig for food to fatten themselves up for the winter. Check your perimeter for signs of an entry point.

I think aVdub called it: they are snuffle holes as they dig for food to fatten themselves up for the winter. Check your perimeter for signs of an entry point.

If they are going to wreck my lawn at least they could put on a bit of a show so I can get some pictures and videos.

I suspect I won't see anything again - that is until after the gardnere has been to repair the lawn.

Cheers,

Nigel

Your wish is my command
giphy.gif

The burrows I have walked past are huge and look nothing like that. But they have been established for a few years

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom