What do you use your HD Recorder for?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bradavon78, Jul 9, 2005.

1. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Why would I really need to move shows around? Delete portions of them? Remove ad breaks? What does it offer me over a standard DVD Recorder?

I'm trying to work out if I should get a DVD Recorder with DivX/Xvid OR a DVD/HD Recorder. I'm racking my brain trying to think of real life examples where I'd need a HD Recorder. Sure you can edit etc . . . sounds cool but would I actually ever need or use it.

I can see myself burning on to DVD+RW or DVD-RW watching the show and maybe lending the disc to a mate but I cannot think of useful examples where I'd need to record to a hard disk?

Sure blank discs only hold 4.5Gb or 8.5Gb but they're so cheap anyway big deal. Sure I could delete adverts with a hard disk recorder but again big deal it's not a hassle to fastforward through them.

Why should I buy a HD Recorder? What are their "killer" apps?

2. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Cutting and editing can make it look professional, also saves storage space looking after the dvdrs.

3. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Does it really matter for a TV show? :)

Couldn't I take the DVD/RW and using DVD Decrypter copy it to my PC HD, edit it to my hearts content and then burn it back to DVD-R or DVD+R?

I suspect the answer is yes and realise it's easier to do this on the home recorder fine but I can only think of a handful of times I'd ever need to use editing features, right?

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's up to you. I started off with the Panasonic E50, but upgraded to the E95, because primarily I didn't want to archive stuff (particularly movies) with adverts still in. If you can live with it, save your money.

5. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    When I bought my first Pioneer DVR-420H I thought I would never use the hard drive but its the only thing I record to. I always said I would never use the chase play but that gets used all the time. It became one of the best toys I've ever bought for capturing old videos, camcorders, TV series, films etc. Its that good that I've bought a Pioneer DVR-530H to replace it has my main editing tool and the 420 has been relegated to the living room.

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There are no 'killer apps' associated with HDD-based DVD recorders, only lifestyle preferences.

You've pretty much answered your own relevant questions, and if you can't see the advantages, then just get a non-HDD recorder and rip/edit on PC if needed. There's nothing stopping you getting a HDD version later.

However, some of us get along just fine without one.

7. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks Nick this is just the sort of thing I'm looking for, a real world reason/example if you will.

Please elaborate don't you record to DVD?

What's chase play?

8. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Could someone list what exactly the editing functions of a HD Recorder are please?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    ...where you playback slightly faster than normal so you can 'catchup' with the programme you've timeslipped on.

bradavon78 - ask yourself this: "Do you want to make edited recordings, on discs that will play in most DVD players, without having to use a PC?". If the answer is yes go for a HDD/DVDR, if not a standalone will suffice.

It differs between models. Why not download some manuals. Most of the major companies have manuals online - even if they are not the latest models the editing features are more or less the same.

10. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Sorry if I'm being dense but how does this differ to fast forward?

It would depend on what editing I could do.

I'm trying to find out what people use theirs for and what are the popular features to see if I'd use them. I'm starting to figure it out:

Time slip
    Cutting
    Re-ordering
    Deleting
    Adding chapters
    Removing chapters

Am I missing anything?

Good idea.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Because it plays back at 1.3x speed (or similar) and thus looks perfectly 'normal', i.e. it is watchable it's just abit quicker than normal.

12. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks guys. I think I'll go for a DVD Recorder without HD Recorder.

The main reason I want one is to give me superior quality than VHS (what I'm currently using) which a DVD Recorder will give me. I can't see myself faffing around editing what I record because:

A: I don't record a lot
    B: At the end of the day they're just TV shows
    C: I won't be backing up DVDs as a PC DVD Recorder is vastly superior for that.

I don't watch sport and DVDs are so cheap I'd prefer to buy films.

If I decide I want to record something off TV I'm going to spend time mucking about with I'll use a DVD-RAM disc (for example a TV 'Series'). I can then put it on DVD-R/DVD+R using my PC which I can see will take time but the crux is for a very occasional use it's not a big deal.

Of course you could say well it's still worth getting one then but you can't get a HD DVD Recorder with DivX support. I'd prefer DivX then a HD I think.

I am curious what made 'dmpoole' use the HD in his/her Recorder though? What changed his/her mind?

13. JoseD

JoseD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You can also edit on DVD-RAm and -RW IIRC. What you can't do, is record and later dub from the HD what you want. Ver practical, but I guess you can do that on a PC, a bit cumbersome for example if you just want to dub a concert you recorded taking off comercials. The Panasonic EH50 is of the best and not so expensive.

[EDIT]
    I mean't EH50

14. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks. I thought you meant that and it's almost £300!

The cheapest I can find a HD & DVD Recorder in one is £220. Not a band price but I doubt considering it's the bottom of the range it's all that good.

Reading between the lines it looks like most people use them for two reasons:

1. Removing ad. breaks
    2. Camcorder editing

Anything else?

p.s - I've found out why you're keen on the HD Recorder dmpoole you have a Camcorder. Enough said I can see a real use for one then.

15. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,957
    I use mine for transfering stuff from my Sky+ box. Because Sky+ will only let you copy stuff at normal speed I wait until I've got a few programs to copy and then transfer them all over to the hard disk of the E85. Without the hard disk I would be limited by how much I could fit onto a DVD.

16. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Out of interest why have Sky+ if you have a HD Recorder?

Thanks btw.

p.s - Do you mean normal as in the speed it takes to play back? OMG that's dreadful. I'd have to leave it going over night.

17. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    Try recording something over two hours on a DVD at SP or higher. You can't.

I record everything I want to keep at SP quality on the HDD. Then, if I want to keep the recording, it goes onto RAM (Panny HS2 40GB HDD) for editing on the computer. I often record epidoes like Star Trek and CSI at SP. Then transfer two at a time onto the computer. DVD files are created and then re-encoding down to fit a 4.36GB DVD. The re-encoding should be better than doing it on the recorder as one plus it is frame accurate unlike the recorder.

Anything else, I record at LP and just keep it on the HDD until I get time to watch it. It saves a lot of RAM discs.

18. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    You guys must watch far more TV than me. It would take me months to fill a HD.

Ten DVD-RAM discs can be bought for £15. They'd take me ages to fill also.

I know. I'd probably use the 3hr recording mode most of the time.

19. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Lets take an example.
    Last week I recorded about 15 hours of Live 8. The following day I divided it up, put chapters in where appropriate, named all the titles and recorded the whole lot with menus/chapters to three DVD's.

At the moment I'm recording A Bears Tale. I will keep them all on the HD until I've got the series then I'll set about editing, naming, erasing adverts and burning them to a DVD with a nice menu.

To me its a wonder machine and so much easier than PC editing.

20. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    That's the great thing - record lots of whatever on the HDD and it's there to either: tinker with and make a fancy DVD; watch and delete [without searching through a pile of RAM/DVDR discs like we used to with VHS cassettes] or put straight on a disc to share. I would encourage anyone thinking of a DVD recorder to get a HDD one.

21. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Do HD Recorders support what I'll call "auto recording"? (I've no idea what it's actually called).

I remember back when Sky+ was launched one of the selling points was the fact it would work out what you liked to watch and record it automatically for you.

Put in real terms say with a TV series?

Okay that is impressive. I can't see most people going to that length but it is impressive.

To find the ad breaks do you need to manually search through to find them or is it more clever than that?

You can add your own (custom) menu?

22. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,957
    SKy+ is very very good at what it does, set up your recordings and series links and you can basically forget about it and watch the recordings at your leisure. Any recordings made on Sky+ also get rid of the red dot. I don't think there is another machine that is as easy to use as Sky+ from a recoding point of view, but it has no editing facilities, so all the editing has to be done on the HDD on the E85.
    Yes it does copy at normal playback speed, so I do large copies over night, but you wouldn't be able to do that if you only had a DVD recorder as there's not enough space on a DVD.

23. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD will change your TV viewing lifestyle! - anything else is of the ark (incl DVDR)

+It's the couch potatos dream

+No looking for tape/discs or space on them to record

+No looking for tapes/discs to play back

+Mega-reliable = no-worry whether it's going to fit/work

+Virtually no-space restrictions

+Editing benefits

Now the real benefit - because there's virtually no space restriction & it so easy to record, unlike dvdr where you 'tend' to record only what you want, with hd you tend to record the world (incl stuff you 'think' you 'might' want to watch 'sometime', and then only watch what you want, when you want to watch it and delete the rest (or the machine even does that for you)

coupled with an EPG for one-click programming/titling on the HD it is the couch potatos dream

i have 80 gig drive and archived near 200 discs, but in fact, if you buy one with large enough drive (250gig/ choice of 125 hours viewing ish), you will find the need to archive (transfer to disc) becomes more and more redundant pro-rata

24. liamdens

liamdens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Main reason I use one is because I just record the weekly 'junk' off the TV and watch when it suits me. If I were to use a non-hd dvd recorder then I would be up and down swapping disks to make sure I fit all the shows on disk. With a HD you just record and forget.

Having to jump up and swap dvd's is too much like owning an old vhs video recorder for me!

25. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing i could guarantee for sure - You 'will' be buying an HD within a year - phelings will tell you, you can buy a pioneer HD/DVDR (decent one) for around £299 so have you really made a saving? (depends what you get for your 'hardly used' dvdr on ebay)

26. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    There is an edit facility called ERASE SECTION and its so simple to use.
    Yes you do have to do it manually but its so easy. You can put it on very fast search and then slow it down so that you get the start and end of the adverts and press delete.

You have a choice of 9 different menus. If you've named each film then they end up on the menu. I only found out yesterday that you can name the disk also.

Yesterday I'd got three old Macc Lads video tapes and converted those to DVD. Each one had its own name and I used the CHAPTER EDIT facility to put chapters before each song. I was then able to name the disk 'The Macc Lads' before burning and finalising with a menu.

Tis a truly wonderful machine.

27. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The biggie for me is the ability to use high speed dub from the hard drive. Very handy if you need to make multiple copies. Another good reason to record to a hard drive is those rare occasions when you might have bad media. How frustrating would it be to have recording aborted with a disk error 1 1/2 hours into a 2 hour program.

28. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    One reply said it's playing back a program which is being recorded slightly faste than 'real time' so you can catch up,

But I'd prefer to say it's playing back at normal speed a program that is still being recorded so you can watch from the start, but later than scheduled. So if you start watching 15 mins late then you'll finish 15 mins late. Of course, if you skip the ads during playback you'll catch up to some extent.
    If you find the ads a bore this is a good way to watch a program anyway. Just start it recording then a bit later start to watch it and skip the ads.
    Most ad breaks on ITV last 4 mins every 20 mins or so. So if you start watching a two hour program about 20 mins after it starts you'll finish up pretty close to the real end time.
    All the normal playback facilities are there too, like pause and reverse play if you want to recap a bit.

You might like to download a manual for a Pioneer machine from their website.
    Just type in a model number when asked (e.g. 530) then right click the Download link and select Save As... Browse it at your leisure.

29. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've just this minute had a glitch with the Pioneer 530. I looked at the clock for my High Speed copy and it was on 14 mins! I pressed the display button and it was doing nothing so the only way I could stop it was to pull the plug. Removing the disk I could see it was bad media and the 2nd disk recorded no problem.

Of course if you need to make a lot of copies then its easier to do it with your PC. I mastered my bands DVD with the Pioneer 420 and I have to make at least 10 copies a gig - http://www.disturbinthepeace.co.uk (Click on MEDIA).

30. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    I don't know if the latest Panasonics have it but my E50 and HS2 has 2 hours then 4 hours. To get three hours I have to re-encode SP to make it fit using FR mode.

If I don't want to re-encode, I start with 3 hours FR recording to make it fit straight away. I also used to fit four 45 minute programs doing the same method. The first 45 minute recording is set at 3 hours, 2nd at 2 hours 15 minutes, 3rd at 1 hour 30 minutes and 4th at 45 minutes. It fits the discs better and no re-encoding.