1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you use your camera for?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by andrea10984, Nov 19, 2004.

1. andrea10984

andrea10984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm not sure if this is on-topic here. If not, I apologize, just ignore it.

I'm writing an essay about trends in consumer electronics for one of my university courses. Specifically, I'm interested in finding out with what intention people buy their digital video cameras for and what camera/accessories they purchased for that end.

I would be most thankful to anyone reading this and having a digital video camera if you can reply with a line or two with: your camera model and any important accessories or software, reasons for buying and what you actually use it for (in case, for example, if you bought it mainly for filming vacations and found other interesting uses later).

Thank you!

Andrea

2. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    sony dcr ip1 bought

reasons for purchase
    extremly small fits in pocket so can be taken anyware
    good build quality simple to use captured video is of dvd quality realy good for something so small

has been used everywere recently refurbeshed a old house and built a extension took video footage everyday/when we got maried honeymoon/and general days out alton towers safari park etc

3. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andrea,

Model: Sony DCR-PC330
    Accessories: External Light; Battery (4 hrs); Mem Stick Pro 256 MB (for stills)
    Reason: It's a 2 in 1 gadget (Video camcorder + digital camera 3 MPixels)
    Use: to film family events and take digital photos

Hope that helps

4. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    andrea: You don't make it clear if you want people to say why they bought a particular model of camcorder, or simply why they bought a camcorder at all?

For the record:
    What: Panasonic MX-500. 3CCD, best quality picture around £1000 (at the time), good reviews, didn't like the Sony equivalent.

Why: First child was due, so wanted to make a record of her development.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sony TRV33 - because it was the most affordable anamorphic recording cameras

Mainly holidays and family events with some hobby filming as well

6. robroy

robroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, here's a bit of information which you might have to think about...

Not very long ago I was part of a survey on the very same question but relating to digital still cameras. The second most popular reason in nearly all of the men asked was... home erotica. Yet this answer did not come top with anyone asked. The conclusion was that a large number of men buy a digital camera in the hope that they can get some naughty pics of the wife/girlfriend/mistress but justify the purchase to themselves with another reason.
    I don't know if you can relate this directly to camcorders but...

Rob.

7. andrea10984

andrea10984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again,

I would like to thank everyone for replying, you are really helping me so thanks!

What I would like to know is the reason people buy any camera and to relate those reasons to how much money they were willing to spend and what features atracted them in a camera. That is why I asked the model.

Ok, that figures :) , but there is really no place to go from there from the marketing point of view, which in the end is what really interests me. So I guess we will chalk that one down to the "Family and friends" genre. ;)

Thanks everyone once again!!

Andrea

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    Sony TRV-900 - it was the best quality consumer camcorder available at the time without spending really silly money (like £1500 isn't silly money :rolleyes: ).

Spare battery, Lens filter (mainly for protection reasons), Tripod with oil joints for smooth pans etc, case, loads of tapes.

Then I got:
    Pentium IV 1.8Ghz PC with Matrox RT2500 DV/analogue capture card.
    20Gb boot and 60Gb video HDDs upgraded to 60gb/160Gb
    512Mb RIMM RAM upgraded to 1024Mb
    Twin 17" TFT monitors
    Adobe Premiere 6 with Power Pack software.

Upgraded to DVD burner and direct to disk Epson R200 inkjet printer.

Main use is for stage (bands/shows etc) recording and the occassional holiday or family occassion.

Hope the above is of some help.

Mark.

9. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sony DCR-PC100E, best model at the time, without spending "silly-money" - see MarkE19 above! - also it was DV in and out....
    Lens protector, filter (polaroid), tapes, official cary-case.
    Laser Link - wireless connection to the TV! :eek:

Bought 3 months before first born...
    Used for "life-record" with children.
    Taken with us if we are doing something/going somewhere..... used lots... :thumbsup:

All tapes recorded on once and then kept as masters....
    PC used to edit and create "watchable" ( :zonked: ) DVD's....

10. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a Sony TRV900 to replace an ill VX1000, camera was more compact but with similar resolution, and more friendly interface. The only viable alternative would have been a canon XM1 which had lower res, smaller ccds and no audio level control.

There was a good panasonic around the same time (the MX300) but this was a bottom loader which I didn't deem to be desirable.

A few years down the line I also bought a Canon XM2, it gave me the same essential specs as the Sony VX2000 (once you add a lanc controller) but with a better lens and cost a good bit less.

Both of these cams were intended for use for low-budget corporate and back up cams. In actual fact they have been used on professional & broadcast projects, intercutting quite happily with footage from the DVCPRO cameras I also run.

I think this class of camera give great value for money. In fact I think consumers are generally spoiled, the price crash in digital gear and what you get for your money is phenomenal.