What do you use the 3g for?

Discussion in 'PS Vita Forum' started by DroidSkin, Feb 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DroidSkin

DroidSkin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
    Hi all,

I have recently got myself a PS4 and have decided that I would get a PS Vita for some remote play and when I am away from home.

I have been doing some reading and can't quite fathom out whether I should get the wi-fi only or 3g model.

Most of the reviews I have read seem to suggest that there is little or no gaming to be had using the 3g, but this could be the wi-fi only owners justifying not having it!

Do you have the 3g or wi-fi only model? How and what do you use your 3g for?

A hopeful thanks in advance for your input!

2. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    I have a wifi version and honestly the 3g would be nice sometimes, but I would not use it enough to justify another monthly cost for the rarities a game will benefit by having internet access. Persona 4 Golden is one game where it would be useful, but it's not necessary and that's the only game where being online gives you any real benefit in game.

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,719
    Wifi only here. I have no idea what you'd really use 3G for. It would have too high a latency for online gaming and downloads would be too big. Apart from being able to message and email on the move, I don't know why I would use 3G with the Vita.

4. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,454
    Short answer, absolutely nothing.

Got a 3G Vita because it was no more expensive than wifi only. Got a PAYG SIM with it, browsed a couple of websites but then pretty much only used it to synch trophies, never bothered to top up when it ran out. Data in the UK (on a PAYG basis) is just too expensive to be useful for downloading anything or playing remotely or online. For pretty much every non-gaming online functionality (email, web) I would use my phone ahead of the Vita.

Fortunately as a Sky broadband customer I have free, unlimited access to The Cloud wifi which is pretty easy to come by in London and the SE.

5. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    I went for the wifi, if i need 3G I can tether to my phone and it's only one plan that way.

Those with 3G have you considered an ovivo data sim? £20 upfront gets you 1Gb a month, if you use it occasionally it could be handy to have but it won't cost you anything a month after the up front cost. You can also get £10 of it back in PSN credit via text

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    How can you tether to it? Oh, you must have done the tether option through your phone? I wish I did that tbh cuz I have unlimited on my phone but they won't let me pay for the tethering unless I get out of my grandfathered contract and pay the same a month for only 2g of data... EFF THAT!!!

I used at least 40gb of data a month (lots of Netflix and music streaming) so no way in hell am I changing that. I tried to upgrade my phone recently and they said I have to get rid of my unlimited for that as well because it's "uncompatible"... HAHA YAH RIGHT!!!

I gave the upgrade to my son's phone, ordered it on his since he has the 2gb for $30 a month data plan and then put my sim card in it and am now the proud owner of a Galaxy Note 3 with full unlimited data. The funniest part was they tried to do it sneakily when I was going it on the website, but when I questioned their ridiculously named stuff (that doesn't clue you in to what they are trying to do) I made the lady spell it out via the chat and I told her it was shady as hell for them to do that and that I'm not going to upgrade then.

I was fuming and almost went for a different provider till I figured I could transfer the upgrade and do it that way, lol.

7. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    I wondered what you was talking about then remembered where you live :D

I'm on three's one plan with unlimited data and tethering (nice for £15 a month) and set up a WiFi hotspot on my nexus 4, my vita was run off that for the first 3 months until we moved back to our permanent residence. It works well this way as I only have a single plan, truly unlimited data and a faster connection, if I upgrade to 4g it'll be even faster. Also the vita just sees it as WiFi so doesn't stop me doing anything that 3g built in shouldn't do.

8. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,454
    Ooh, that looks really interesting.

9. Neil_H

Neil_H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    I believe the 3G has limits on what you can download (kind of like the iPhone does) and a lot of the online games can't be used with it. I decided not to bother as at launch there was a hefty price difference between the 2 models.

I tether mine to my unlimited data iPhone and have no download limits...although strictly speaking I'm breaching the terms of my phone contract.:censored:

I have a feeling the 3G model's days are numbered, there is no slim 3G model and in Japan they still sell the old shape 3G model - I expect this will be phased out sooner or later. So if you want one, don't leave it too long.

10. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    It's useful, I've got one with the phone plan in an old phone as a backup, it runs off Vodafone so for the odd call when three has nothing I can make a call. Its a good choice for the vita though as you won't use it much

11. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    not to sidetrack too much, but ovivo is £18 to sign up this weekend if anyone was after the sim card for their vita