What do you think?

CemStLouis

Novice Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm planning to buy the following equipment. What do you think? Good match? I need your advice.
Speakers: Klipsch RP-8000F, link, $958
Tube amplifier: BoyooRange A50 MKIII, link, $750
Yamaha audio streamer WXC-50, link, $350
REL powered subwoofer, link, $600
Total: $2,658 + cables and a rack
I will bi-wire the powered subwoofer to the tube amplifier. Yamaha is to stream music from computers and iPhones.
What do you think?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The products you are interested in are on the US market and will be unfamiliar to Europeans. ..except the Yamaha which is universally available. So no replies are not discourteous

You are paying over $700 for a 7.6 Watt Amp. That might work with large Klipsch speakers, but that is not much power. Being Class-A Power is an advantage and it should sound pretty good. But it will eat a lot of electricity, and not give you much power in return.

Output power: 7.6W x 2 (Class A) (no feedback technology)

When you buy a Tube Amp, what you are really buying is a hobby. Thought not knowing the specifics of your listening habits, perhaps 7.6w is fine. But that is still pretty low power.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

I also suspect that the RP-8000 will go deeper than the Rel Subwoofer -

Klipsch - FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 32-25kHz +/- 3dB

REL - Lower Frequency Response: 32 Hz at -6 dB in room

The REL is counting on some in-room boost for its specs, the Klispch are Anechoic Chamber specs.

I don't see that you gain much from that Subwoofer. Though the REL T/i series are very good musical Subs, but they are meant to enhance the depth of a Bookshelf, not a big-box big-driver Floorstanding Speaker.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

Keep in mind that I am NOT trying to Crap on your system or your choices. I'm just trying to make sure you are aware of what you area buying.

Steve/bluewizard

I've been researching Klipsch a bit lately and it's thought that their sound isn't for everyone and some people don't like the way horn speakers colour the sound.

Zero Fidelity has some good reviews and gives very sensible buying advice:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVheKhXuRNw

He has a knack for talking me out of impulse Hi-Fi purchases so I'd say that if you still feel reassured about your purchase after a session with him you're on the right track.

I've been researching Klipsch a bit lately and it's thought that their sound isn't for everyone and some people don't like the way horn speakers colour the sound. ....

Some people think that horns can be a bit shouty, and that was true of the older Klipsch Speakers, but the new RP-Series have Rubberized Horns, and that damps the shoutiness. The RP-Series do sound very good and you can find some very positive reviews on them. They are slightly V-Shaped which is characteristic of Klipsch. Though they have Midrange, the Bass and Treble tend to be a bit more emphasized. Still, most people think that Klipsch really hit a home run with the new RP-Series.

But to some extent you are right. These are not necessarily for everyone.

Steve/bluewizard

Based on BlueWizards advice, combine your sub and amp budget and maybe look at something like the Rogue Audio Sphinx,...

I've only heard ROGUE Amps once with some top of the line Mordant-Short speakers, and they were absolutely breath taking. HUGE sound stage, lots of reserve power.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom