1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by The Paddy, Mar 28, 2005.

1. The Paddy

The Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having trawled through the various threads for the past month, I have finally decided to take the plunge! Not too concerned with HD at the moment. So decided (almost) on this package.

Panasonic PW 7 42''

Marantz SR8500 Receiver

Marantz DV6500 DVD Player

Mordaunt Short Premier Plus Package

SKY +

I have not had the chance to demo this package as living in deepest Ireland!
    Any suggestions? I will try to get the best speaker and interconnects I can, including HornyDragons JS converter thingy!

Ps: Thanks to all the " old salts" for all the great threads posted which are a massive help to a beginner like myself! Cheers :thumbsup:

2. paxton

paxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Welcome!

Just a point, why are you not interested in HD at the moment? If I'm not mistaken, HD content will be around next year, unless someone can correct me on this.

Sounds like decent enough kit, too.

3. The Paddy

The Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply Paxton! Re: HD, I might take a chance on some kit becoming available to "make" the PW7 HD compliant. I realise there are many and various issues and opinions out there regarding this, but this this a new build house and I don't have time to wait for the new pannys ( or the money!).
    I hope the PW7 PQ will be very impressive, therefore hopefully HD will not play on my mind for the immediate future! Besides, if I got the all the right kit now, I wouldn't have that much of an excuse to keep buying the mags and keep checking out the banter on this forum :)
    PS: I also reckon this set up will blow my brother-in-laws out of the water! :thumbsup:

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    you won't be disappointed by the pq Paddy and I reckon decent HD content on Sky will still be some way off......using your js converter you may not even feel you need it!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Why, what does your in-law have?

6. Selectortone

Selectortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Paddy: Panny, Marantz and Mordaunt-Short - very nice.

I'm with you on the whole HD thing. Life's too short to be waiting 18 months (at least...). I'll have my Panny now thanks.

7. The Paddy

The Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a funny feeling by brother-in-laws set is suspitiously like Paxtons! If you get my drift. ;)
    Just to throw a spanner in the works I am thinking of adding on of those Elonex Artisan LX media centres which has got some good reviews in PC Pro mag recently, but I digress, that is probably for the media centre forum boffs to argue about!
    Anyway I figure the PW7 is going to give me the most bang for my buck.

8. paxton

paxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It remains to be seen as to whether it will "blow my brother-in-laws out the water". :D

Anyway, it's a moot point, I'm happy with mine ta. And I've had it a year, there are lots of new bits kit about now. All my kit is now probably obsolete. If not it's probably a darn site less than the dosh I forked out. :(

mep : Does the JS Tech RGB -> VGA convertor make a significant difference? I've not seen one in action.

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    Paxton, have also tried scart to screen, scart to dvdr and component to screen and the keene sync blaster...the js is better by far than the other options..better colours and contrast and overall a much 'sharper' picture

10. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a syncblaster and must say the picture is crisper than a deep fried grasshopper on a crackerbread!
    so if you use a js converter it must be like having HD already!

get in there paddy mate, you won't regret your choice, looks like a killer set up mate. :thumbsup:

11. paxton

paxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cheers mep, I shall try and get a viewing. Know anyone that does a "try before you buy"? :D

:oops: Apologies for going off-topic and hi-jacking the Paddy's thread. Ah well, you can choose your friends ... :D

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    no mate i don't but there are 35 zillion happy users (or there abouts) on the forums *lol*

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PAxton not sure if the JS RGB>VGA will work with a pioXDE and if it did would need to connect to the front flap VGA......URGH.......as for the PWD7 its a top screen...........the MArantz kit is good (i have seriously gone off recent MArantz kit) and the MS are good but can be bettered.......i would say Panny, Denon, Denon, Canton personally (distinct lack of good £250-£300 DVD players at the MO!)

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Paxton, you could try the YUV version, but of course the input is shared with HDMI, pain in the butt. The VGA one doesn't work on your screen IIRC.

15. The Paddy

The Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Adymartin! Hope it's all going to turn out swimmingly well ;)

But I have a confession to make.... I am getting a professional installer to do the job... eeek. Is this blasphemy?

I just don't have the time and more importantly the "know how". I will probably make a complete arse of it. I just can't risk it.

I will probably miss some re-birth type moment, when the whole thing fires up after a weekend of cursing and muttering.

But hey! You guys can keep a secret eh ;)

16. The Paddy

The Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS: Cheers HD for suggestions. :thumbsup: