What do you think will be the 'Big' story of CES 2012?

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
As the thread title what do you think will be the big story of CES 2012, or what is the one thing you would like to see announced this year? Let us know below!

IAN P

Novice Member
A monster sized OLED would be very cool to see.:thumbsup:

A replacement for the Z-11 and Susano would be an impressive sight too.

And more 4K news obviously would be great.

That's enough for starters.:D

How about Quantum Dot LED?

Last edited:

DigitalPho3nix

Novice Member
I'm tipping mass production prototype OLED TV's and/or Nanotube backlight LED TV's.

I think Panasonic will also introduce their larger sizes of LCD-based TV's as well.

Edit: and a new Xbox console please!

Last edited:

Crunchie

I'd like to see

Full Resolution Passive 3D TV with non-reflective glass panel
LED TV's with smoooooth-as-silk motion (no j-j-j-juddering)
Better upscaling so that low bitrate SD channels can be watched without wincing :)

Last edited:

mattmeer

Standard Member
Panasonic VT40 with gorilla-glass (the scratch free and light-weight glass that sony uses in one of their highend tv's) and the 30bit color engine from the Panasonic VX300.

DarkEntity

DarkEntity

Lmao...So what's new

Steven

Senior Moderator
Playstation 4 or Xbox 720 :)
lol that is optimistic, the games industry has its own annual show in the summer called "E3". We already know there will be further details about the Wii U at the 2012 show, it is possible Sony and MS will also reveal their heand too

wiz

Distinguished Member
Panny TV with better than Kuro blacks. :smashin:

Timh

Distinguished Member

usman24

A high end blu-ray player from Denon that works! :D and plasma's that don't have floating blacks/brightness.

monkeyfist

It would be good if manufacturers concentrated on getting the stuff thats around at the moment right before moving on to the next big thing. (i.e a tv with no input lag, banding, clouding, lifting blacks, motion problems, retention, reflection) I'm looking forward to OLED but please release something that works!

Oh, and how about a statement from Philips that they will make this years TV's available in the UK when they are released instead of next year!

martbournemouth

Novice Member
genuinely full HD (1080p) passive 3d - around 55" please!

also looking forward to seeing the 55" OLED set, but can they do it at a reasonable price? will be interesting to see. Have AMOLED on my S2 phone and the contrast and colours are stunning so 55" will be mindblowing. Anyone know if it is 3d too? and what resolution?

heard about a rival to the sony personal 3d viewer too, would like to see how it stacks up. have the HMZ-T1 which is great in many ways bar comfort.

hinrodath

Standard Member
IAN P said:
How about Quantum Dot LED?

"Quantum dots(QDs) are a new alternative form of light emitting technology and incorporating them into OLED displays brings many added benefits to those described above, including:

• Better colour purity : the colour produced by QDs is a considerable improvement over competing OLED technologies, which provides for an improved viewing experience for the end user.
• Added flexibility : QDs are soluble in both aqueous and non-aqueous solvents, which provides for printable and flexible displays of all sizes, including large area TVs (QD TV™)
• Improved lifetime : QDs are inorganic; as such they offer the potential for improved lifetimes when compared to alternative OLED technologies.

Quantum dots (QDs) are nano-scale crystals comprising various elements. The properties and performance of these unique crystals is determined by the size and composition of the QD. Nanoco Technologies has developed the ability to ‘engineer’ these properties in a unique manner, allowing adjustments to the performance and properties of the QD in a rapid and cost effective manner."

www.nanocotechnologies.com/content/CommercialApplications/QDDisplays.aspx

Nanoco Technologies are developing QD TV, I think it would be interesting to see them. Hope they're at CES!

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
The Big story would be if LG & Samsung are to release their 55" OLED sets for circa £2-2.5k - still not affordable for all, but if it can compete with the current sized "LED" sets like the D8000 for a price point its a great start.

That would show that affordable OLED is clearly not far around the corner

4k comming to the high street

Glasses free 3D.

Of corse if it was announced that Pioneer Kuros will return to finally show how to make a solid picture- that would be the BIG story, but thatl never happen ;)

Bleem

Distinguished Member
I'm hoping for some news on a new Xbox from Microsoft. Although they usually save the best bits for E3 - both previous Xbox consoles were revealed at CES shows.

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
both previous Xbox consoles were revealed at CES shows.

reeaaalllyyy...

this I didnt know/realise.

Looking forward even more to this event now... although I have a feeling the next xbox may not be released until 4k is realised as I dont think graphics alone would be enough to release a new console- and the 360 can do everything else currently

funkipoon

Standard Member
Grangey. said:
The Big story would be if LG & Samsung are to release their 55" OLED sets for circa £2-2.5k - still not affordable for all, but if it can compete with the current sized "LED" sets like the D8000 for a price point its a great start.

That would show that affordable OLED is clearly not far around the corner

4k comming to the high street

Glasses free 3D.

Of corse if it was announced that Pioneer Kuros will return to finally show how to make a solid picture- that would be the BIG story, but thatl never happen ;)

Toshiba has just released a 55 inches model with 4K res and glass-free 3D - 55X3 at around 9K USD

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco update adds Roon 1.8 readiness
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung ranked No.1 TV brand for 15th year running
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published