1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think the NEXT LCD specs will be?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tempest, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Seeing as how the big 3 (or 4) LCD makes are all pretty much the same + or - a tiny bit here and there.

What do you think they are working on now?

I can't see the res going up for the models thay are working on now.

Almost feels like they have got to a point now where it's going to be hard to make the next models much better than the current ones.

Perhaps get totally rid of any vertical banding, tweak the contrast a bit more, but what else ?

From the AE100 to the AE700 did not take THAT long, but there was a big leap between them.

Just wondering where they all go from here, as they all must be working on them now.

2. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd really like them to sort out bulb issues - I'm only guessing but I think they're manufactured intentionally to have a limited lifespan as the consumables market is lucrative for them. For that reason I don't think we'll be seeing the type of lamp life potential that is possible any time soon but I think they could at least offer guarantees for the quoted 2000/5000 hrs. Even if they built the lamps to higher spec with a chip limiting them to quoted life, that would be better than the current set up of 'try your luck' :thumbsdow

Other than that, the inevitable onwards and upwards - higher res, higher contrast, lower noise and maybe more wireless connectivity.

3. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think the jump to the next gen ( Z4 , AE900 , HS ?? ) will be greater than the the last jump ( i.e Z2 to Z3, HS20 to HS50 ). The improvements in contrast in the current models are largely due to trickery ( variable irises( irides? ) etc ).
    The next generation of panels like the Epson D5 and Sony Beena have genuine improvements in true contrast if the prelininary specs are correct.
    Hopefully the D5 will rid us of vertical banding.
    If Sony's new panel is as good as it sounds we could have an affordable LCD front projector in a year's time with a genuine 3000:1 on off contrast ( 10,000:1 + with iris )

4. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +326
    I agree woth Goof, its the bulb's they need to sort out. this suck it and see attitude, and 90 warranty on bulbs is not good enough, they should have a minimum of 2000 hours.

i think the resolution (on 720 panels) is pretty decent. possible panel alignment issues can be fixed.

also sealed lenses to prevent dust blobs can be addressed, with lense shift as standard.

the perfect budget (sub £1500) PJ is not too far way now i think.