1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do You think of your new Toshiba Strata TV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Matthew Attoe, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi there,

Thinking of getting one of these (36") as a replacement to my Philips 36pw9607.

I would like to know your opinions of your strata set.

Do they have any issues (such as lighter sides, flickering brightness/contrast, buzzing etc) that plagued some of the other tosh sets?

Thanks,

Matthew

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had mine for about a week now and I'm delighted with it. There are no problems so far, I thought the RGB mode was a bit shoddy to start with, but it was just that I had left the contrast set way too high and it made the edges of menus and things shimmer. Now that it's set better the result is superb.

The picture from my sony DVD player is stunning.

Nice cabinet as well, easy to put up, very sturdy.

I got mine from sound and vision in Bolton, they have been faultless so far. £1450 including delivery and a 5m component video cable (about £110 normally).

I would definitely recommend one so far.

HTH
    Owain

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you've got a much better deal than me mate lol Anyways I'm well happy with my TV set. Ran the THX disk to set everything up and the images are superb. The digital tuner is alright but then DVB needs to improve drastically (and the BBC lowering bitrates doesn't help).

I was skeptical about the cabinet when I saw it on the net, but once you see it I'm sure you'll love it like I do ^_^ Stupidly easy to setup, as is the TV with its flawless auto-tuning.

The first thing I did with the set though was to put it into picture mode 3 and tweak the settings... Then I ran my import Gamecube in progressive scan. At first there was a few updating faults (top right hand corner was black) but it only lasted for about 1 second. Once that cleared up.... WOW! ^_^ The images are stupidly crisp and more defined. I've been playing videogames for years and I thought the jump from composite to RGB was major, but this really is sweet ^_^ It basically made me want to buy a Tosh 510 right there and then to try it out with my R1 DVDs, but I decided not to.

I've had the TV since thursday so there might be a need for further tweaking, but I have experienced no major faults of the Tosh ZP18 thus far... But I have noticed one thing. Since most (if not all) of my viewing is done with the curtains closed I have niticed that the top right hand corner is flickering the image brighter and darker. Its nothing to distract you totally since when watching DVDs you can't notice it unless you make an effort to do so.

Other than that theres no humming, buzzing, spiking (thank god) and the dirty screen is less evident alright.

IMO its well worth auctioning at the very least with a prog.scan DVD player if possible. If not then hold out for the new Panasonic TVs.. Which can to PAL and NTSC prog.scan.

4. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the replies guys,

Could you tell me if you have the 32 or 36 version, and if it is the DD5.1 model or not, as I will be going for the 36 DD5.1 one.

Also, how are the scarts cobfigured for RGB, S-Video etc, as i would like to hook up my system as follows:

Sony 900 - component video + co-axial digitial lead for audio.
    Sky box - RGB Scart.
    S-VHS VCR - S-video via scart, or failing that, s-video to s-video.

Would this work?

Thanks again,

Matthew

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi matthew,

I have the 36ZD26P (36" non-DD version). The TV has three scart sockets (EXT1-3) and a set of component inputs (EXT4). I currently have my sky digital going into EXT1 (the only scart with RGB enabled) and my sony DVD into EXT2 via S-video. The latter of these is only temporary, I'm waiting for my 5m component cable to be delivered and then I'll change over to that. AFAIK the scarts for EXT2 and EXT3 both take s-video, you just have to set them to do this in one of the menus. If you don't you just get a black and white picture.

I don't know what the sound is like on the DD set, but if I were you I'd save the money from the difference in cost of the DD version over the non-DD one (about £300 i think), and buy a separate amp and speakers, I'm sure that for a bit extra money you could get a LOT better sound. Seen as your sony has a built in decoder you might even get away with an older, cheaper, non-DD amp that has 6-channel inputs (older yamaha ones had these and were very good quality for the money).

Of course this means having loads more boxes in the room and probably more intrusive cabling, so might not be what you want.

Regards,
    Owain

6. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the reply...

i'd love to have a sep. amp and speakers, but my fiancée hates having cables, big speakers etc etc etc (as just about all women do!!!) so she compromised on a tv with it all built in and two small(ish) rear speakers, so it'll have to be the DD version I'm afraid. it took me ages to persuade her to go from 32 to 36, as it is!!!

Why does life have to be full of compromises :)

Thanks,

Matthew

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 36" model, DD version and digital tuner... Very nice indeed. Although I would agree with Owain totally... Seperates offer a much richer sound experience without doubt. Not all speakers have to be huge, just look at some sat + sub speaker sets. The one thats getting all the raves atm is the Aego P5 at £600. 5 small sat speakers (which weighs a fair bit) and a nice subwoofer. Well worth the cash since they are very good performers and it can decode DD but not DTS.

As for connections I have it like this atm (until I move in all my consoles) -

Scartbox (RGB enabled) -> AV1
    DVD -> Scartbox (A)
    PS2 -> Scartbox (B)
    Sky -> Scartbox (C)
    Gamecube -> AV4

VCR is hooked up to the Sky Digital box so I don't need to have anymore cables. Since you have an S-Video VCR, you can simply use AV2 or AV3. Just use a S-Video to SCART adapter which can either be bought for £9.99 or have a trip down to Argos and buy a Digital ready kit for the same price (but you get scart cables, s-video leads, phonos, etc etc as well as the adapter).

As for the onboard DD stuff... I haven't touched it since I'm using seperates for everything audio sorry.

I would suggest having another crack at asking nicely for some seperates ^_^ Tell her that all the cables will be hidden via wire loom (basically a large plastic sheathing which will wrap around all of the wires) so you won't be able to see a mess. As for the speakers, tell her its nothing larger than 68mm x 103mm x 90mm and the sub can be hidden so no probs there.

There are of course other speaker packages around so it depends on your buget mate. Have fun ^_^

8. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi i have a tosh36zd26p and i am happy with it .The only thing i changed on it was the top cabinate draw i changed it from opening upwards to downwards so i could fit my center speaker in it and use the lower one for my dvd and my ondigital box, but it does get hot down there because it is all inclosed. I am running my dvd through component lead and the pic is great.

9. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    another question for you guys...

Do the cabinet doors come off (or can i not fit them) so that the stand is like an "open Stand". which i much prefer to the look of the strata stand.

ta

matthew

10. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can just screw the hinges off yes... I haven't modified my stand in any way for now since I don't think my centre speaker will fit underneath anyway. It'll fit on the bottom shelf but I don't think its quite deep enough (plus I have it bi-wired so it'll be a v.close fit). I'm planning to just build a stand just above the TV for the centre speaker so everything should be cool.

If the door hinges on the top shelf were a little wider from itself then I might have been able to fit my VCR and Skybox on the top shelf... As for now though I just have sky on top, VCR down below. The rest of the AV stuff will have its own stand.