What do you think of this spec?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Reaction score
Hi

Through our computer supplier at work I have been quoted for a new PC with the following spec

P4 3ghz CPU
Abit IC7-G Motherboard
1gb DDR 400 Ram
120GB SATA Hard Disk
FX5800 Abit graphics card
Pioneer DVD Burner
DVD Drive
Win XP
Creative Audigy soundcard
All in a Morex 301T3B ali case (but with an uprated PSU) with lights/neon/etc
http://www.morex.co.uk/specsheets/specpage2.asp?pcodeTarget=301T3B

Microsoft value cordless keyboard and mouse

All for £850 + VAT.

What do you guys think of this spec? Anything stand out as being poor? I realise the graphics card isn't top end but for this money I think the spec looks good.

Cheers
Greg

ps: Thanks goes to Sberemski for replies to a previous post of mine in help towards me specing this PC. It may look like I have slightly ignored your suggestions but I really don't know enough to build it myself and have always been an intel man. Plus you pointed me to overclockers which has been a great help in checking prices

Personally I think it's over priced by about a hundred. Also imho that case is awful.

Thanks for the reply

Checking the prices on overclockers for the equivalent parts only comes to about £800 and so that leaves build cost of just £50 which doesn't sound too high.

Also you have to imagine the PC case with all the lights and neon inside. Maybe thats not for you but its what I want. I wouldn't call it awful but if you can suggest a better one then let me know, becuase the spec can be easily changed.

Cheers
Greg

No monitor Greg?

To keep the costs down I am going to be using my current monitor which is in perfect working order.

Also I was initially planning on just going for an all in one DVD burner/reader etc but it was suggested to go for a seperate DVD drive aswell, so I can be doing other things at the same time as burning a DVD. Also a basic DVD drive is only about £20.

Cheers
Greg

way over-priced. get a p4c 2.4ghz based pc if you really want a p4. The difference in performance is minimal and the difference in price is quite a lot.

of course, there's nothing stopping you overclocking it - most of the p4c 2.4's are doing well over 3ghz even on stock voltage now.

I can't see it being way overpriced. How much do you think that lot is worth then? Considering buying it seperately new from overclockers or komplett comes to about £850??

Anybody else have any thoughts?

Particularly on the case. This can be easily changed on my spec so if there are some better ones out there, let me know.

Thanks
Greg

Well reallly at the end of the day it depends on what you want to do with it. If you don't want to overclock, then i suppose it's a good price.

However, be aware that ive had my pc for around 6 months now. It cost me half the price of that rig, and will outperform in every area that counts to me every day of the week.

Doesn't look like a bad price but as James says, other options available AMD etc.

Personally I'd go AMD & SATA Raid 0 (2x WD Raptors) with an Abit mainboard. I'd also prefer an ATI card above the GeForce.

512mb of memory (Winbond chipped Twinmos - 2x 256mb) should be plenty unless your into photo/video editing etc.

That's the thing about speccing PCs - so many options/variables.

:smoke:

Ok, thanks for the replies.

You are right Kramer theres so many different variables out there, I think I will just have to bite the bullet and stick to something.

Going back to the video card, are Ati cards generally better than Nvidia? What Ati card is similar to the Nvidia 5800?

Thanks
Greg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom