1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of this kit?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by blue_harvester, Aug 8, 2003.

1. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm one step away from ordering the Marantz SR4300 and the Mission m72 speaker package. What do you think of this choice?

Also, I'm on a tight budget so I'll have to buy a sub at a later date. What would be the best 'budget' sub to compliment this system?

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Honestly.. probably no sub at all.. I only got a real sub recently.. until then I just has the full range going to the main speakers.

If you bought a real cheap sub :

A. It would probably be a major disappointment
    B. Almost no re-sale value when u come to upgrade

I reckon you would have to spend about £300 to get something worth having (like a Velodyne CHT-10 -- or less of course if you could get one of these second hand)

Cheers

Matt

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Subs below about £200 will not do the job properly IMO and integrate with your system well since budget subs tend to have a lot of distortion.
    The Velodyne vx-10 has had rave reviews and can be picked up for £199 in the powerbuys section. If you can wait a bit longer I'd suggest the cht-10 (£325)as this gives excellent bangs per buck performance and is reputed to be better than a lot of subwoofer retailing at double the price.
    The rel quake is a budget compact sub but not as good as the cht-10 imo and can be picked up for around £350.

4. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered the Marantz SR4300 for £199 from Richer Sounds. It should be in stock by Tuesday.

Now my main dilema is what speakers to get!! You think I should go for the mission m72 speaker package or what? Would these speakers do for the time being without a sub ie will the front left and right speakers handle the low frequencies alright?

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Second hand CHT-10 on sale in the classifieds here! £225 Bargain!

Matt

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    The M72 is an excellent speaker package you won't be disapointed. The M72 has a good bass response and will keep you going until you can afford a quality subwoofer (like the cht-10). I used to have that package and still have most of it as my rear soundstage- i've upgraded the fronts twice since. You'll find it quite hard to find better for the price imo.
    Go have a listen and compare with similar priced speakers as only you can determin what sounds best to you.
    I have two colleages at work who have just gone through the stage your at. They both came away prefering the M72 package over anything else they heard and therefore went with it. They're both very happy with the performance of the package as I was- until upgradeitis took hold.

7. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want to go without a sub, then get the m73 package.. it's just a few quids more! buying m72 + stands will cost you more than buying the m73!

8. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have stands.