What do you think of this Atmos setup room design? 5.1.4

TB303

Hello again,
I'm making progress :)

So I'm working on a home cinema room (see attached image, a little messy - some mad photoshop skills).

The main components are:

Epson 9400 Projector + dedicated screen (hoping to get 110")
Sound: Denon 3700 + B&W 606 S2 for front left and right, HTM6 S2 (Center) and two M-1 satellites for rear left and right - all mounted at roughtly ear level when seating. The sub is a REL S/3.

I also want to place 4 ceiling speakers (B&W CCM 382).

Firstly I wonder about the setup? In the dolby 5.1.4 set up instructions they suggest olacing teh rear heigh speakers behind the RR RL sattelites, but I can't do it in this room, is that ok? Would a 7.1.2 setup sound better? I only have 9 channels (and one wife :).

I'd welcome general feedback and suggestions, thank you!

Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 22.33.41-3 (3).jpg

Last edited:

gibbsy

The Dolby guide is just that, a guide. It's fine for the perfect room or a purpose built home cinema. As most of us have to live with some kind of compromise with speaker placement then we have to make do with what we have. Looking at your diagram I would say you have it nailed. That would certainly work for me.

As long as the base levels speakers are all at a seated head height for the fronts and just above head height to give a line of sight to the MLP then all looks good.

TB303

Thank you,
Actually my only concern is the front 3 speakers height, they're around 95cm from the floor and seating height is around 120cm... This is a requirement because of the screen.

The rear sattelites are about 160cm from the floor, I hope the AVR can correct for this?

gibbsy

The AVR will be able to calibrate the distances but with the front you could try angling them up towards your seated head height. The AVR can't really adjust for angles only for how the sound hits the mic.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
5.1.4 looks great for that room, another S3 sub would be nice addition in future so you would get more even response for all listeners. Probably hard to find though..

I would save and go with the 606 and HTM6 over the S2 versions! You can read the AVF review of new 600 S2 5.1 and earlier 600 5.1 reviews, Steve said they sound very much same. Some small changes to drivers which you probably won´t hear if the two speakers aren`t side by side. Tiny refinement, big PR trick to market new range but in real life very similar...

This 606 went 379£/pair not too long ago so there is some air in the price, make sure you mention that!

And centre has went as low as 149£ at Richer Sounds, but for some reason it`s very high on other dealers.

Send this picture via email for them for proof. Just save the picture on your computer and then add it on the email. They always ask where have you seen cheaper one.

htm6.png

So i would ask Peter Tyson to make you better deal for those three together! As a minium you save 220£, but most likely closer to 300£ compared S2 versions. You just need to talk better pricing and as they are soon discontinued they want to sell these fast so use your business man skills now! PT always gives discount after some little push.

TB303

What would be a reasonable speaker cable to go with this level of system, not the cheapest possibly midrange? I'll need 52m of speakers cables here.

and also a proper (but not crazy expensive) 8m HDMI cable? Should support 4K HDR/60fps

Thank you

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Lot of members with expensive systems use this, so 52meters = 131,09£.

Fisual S-Flex would do fine too, OFC 2,5mm. Same price, white, very flexible.

QED Profile 79, similar specs to those two and 2£/meter is not bad, 104£ for 52meters.

Then again you can buy some German OFC cable 2,5mm and i would dare say you wouldn´t hear any difference. 15,30,50meter rolls so you could choose roll lenghts ideally to meet your needs. Example 50meter costs 36£ so it´s dirt cheap quality wire. I assume you will use d-lite trunking or similar to hide the wire so probably doesn´t matter how it looks.
Amazon product

Rui Pro (Fiber) 10meter should be very high quality cable. Maybe other shops has it 8meters. Installers recommend this cable for longer runs (HDMI).
Amazon product

TB303

Thanks mate I might make my own cables to save some of the costs (11 different cables, 70m in total). What banana plugs would fit those cables (say teh Van Damme blue ones)?

I wonder if it's as good quality as 'Hifi shop made cables'? I think they solder the connections not just crew a banana plug? Thank you

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Don`t over think it. You don´t need soldered banana plugs or dirty expensive big name brand cable with space technology. If you have old decent OFC (Oxygen Free Copper over CCA) wire AWG14 (2,5mm) roughly then use that.

Check the banana plug information what it takes in. Fisual is very popular too.

3800 reviews.
Amazon product

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Oh and nice to see you are going with the 700 range B&Ws. They should be in different level including the 3-way center channel which would be for me the biggest reason to go that range over the 600. And naturally the 706 S2 will be more musical choice for 2ch listening. I think Tharbamar youtube dude changed LS50 to 706 S2.

You could consider Marantz SR6015 over the Denon? Some members prefer the Marantz sound more for 2ch listening. You should get discount from this when bought with speakers. Peter Tyson gives good deals, send email and ask bundle deal!

TB303

Thanks mate, yes the 700 series and the bigger center speaker :)
Decided to go with the Denon 6700 in the end for a 7.1.4 setup. I'm not super conerned about music (shoudl still sound good) but I have a crazy dedicated two channel set up for music, so this is mainly for movies and kids :)

One question about the banana plugs, I think pros use 'cold welding' not a screw in the banana plug? Thanks

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Oh you went all in then! 😅 Well that model has 13.2 processing so you can go even bigger system in future, hah. Should be killer system! Only thing got me worried some is that you mentioned the speakers going close to walls and lower than ears i think it was. You probably had some height limitations so 706 S2 size speakers max height?

I don´t know about those welded plugs, hope some other member will answer that.

gibbsy

I've been using those Fisual plugs for years. Easy to fit and robust.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom