What do you think of the computer I am getting?

The gtx 1050 ti is a great little budget GPU ,
it should/will be able to play most games at medium -high settings at 1080p (depending on the game )

but have a look at the gtx 1060 3gb or 6gb version
you will be able to play games at 1080p on either high or even ultra settings (again depending on the game )
and give you a good few more FPS with in games too .

Think the clock speed is a little low for gaming on the 8400K, id go for the 8600K.

Think the clock speed is a little low for gaming on the 8400K, id go for the 8600K.

it's got 6 cores and plenty of speed for a 1050ti

if he was speccing a 1080ti then i would maybe be inclined to agree but with a 1050ti then no way.

Wow... have just read a few articles and turns out this 8400 is actually quite a beast for gaming!! Only slightly under performs from the 8600. I've always been of the understanding the majority of games don't utilize all cores and therefore clock speeds are quite important.

Im currently venturing on a new build and after looking at this 8400 i could be tempted myself lol!!

Wow... have just read a few articles and turns out this 8400 is actually quite a beast for gaming!! Only slightly under performs from the 8600. I've always been of the understanding the majority of games don't utilize all cores and therefore clock speeds are quite important.

Im currently venturing on a new build and after looking at this 8400 i could be tempted myself lol!!

most games are gpu limited not cpu limited.

i actually the 8400 in my gaming pc with a GTX 1080. so there is no way he needs a 8600K with a 1050ti.

IMO the 8400 is the best bang for buck Intel CPU available. there is no better cpu for intel in terms of value for money. the only downside is it doesn't overclock.

What mobo do you have
most games are gpu limited not cpu limited.

i actually the 8400 in my gaming pc with a GTX 1080. so there is no way he needs a 8600K with a 1050ti.

IMO the 8400 is the best bang for buck Intel CPU available. there is no better cpu for intel in terms of value for money. the only downside is it doesn't overclock.

Agreed, i hadnt heard of the 8400 until now, id been looking at the 7700K and 8700K for my build... but was leaning more towards Ryzen. What mobo do you use?

What mobo do you have

Agreed, i hadnt heard of the 8400 until now, id been looking at the 7700K and 8700K for my build... but was leaning more towards Ryzen. What mobo do you use?

i have a MSI carbon pro z370 with wifi built in. it's matx.

i needed a micro atx board and i trust MSI because i've had issues with asrock and asus in the past. but I believe they are pretty good now but in the past i got dodgy boards, with one even being recalled. was such a mess. it didn't last long either. 8400 is a great chip you won't be disappointed. got a noctua cooler on it iirc. runs very very cool.

thanks for the help. is the 8th gen that much better than 7th? the 7th gen seems a lot cheaper.

thanks for the help. is the 8th gen that much better than 7th? the 7th gen seems a lot cheaper.
6 cores and 6 threads on the 8th gen , so a little bit better than the 7th gen ones
the more cores better for some games , that are cpu dependant .

depends on if you are planning on overclocking or not

i own both. a 7600K 4 cores/4threads and a 8400 a 6 core/6threads.

UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-7600K vs i5-8400

use this website to compare CPU's.

the 7600k is 6-8% better when using 1-4 cores. when you need more than 4 cores the 8400 is 36% better. the 8400 also runs cooler and uses less electricity but it cannot be overclocked. my 7600K is stock but apparently they can hit up 5.2 ghz quite easily. 5ghz guaranteed on most 4.8 if you get a bad clocker.

so imo it would depend on if you are running stock or not. if you are then 8400, if not then 7600K and try and get it to hit 4.8-5ghz.

don't really know how to overclock. is it worth it? might end up with the 7600k if I can overclock it and get better performance than the 8400 non overclock.

don't really know how to overclock. is it worth it? might end up with the 7600k if I can overclock it and get better performance than the 8400 non overclock.

pro's - free performace
con's - takes patience, invalidates warranty, can kill PC, and usually decreases the life of the CPU.

so not for the faint hearted or impatient people. also people will usually go crazy with settings. my 2500K is like 3.3ghz at stock i overclocked it to 4.4ghz using stock volts so it's been fine.

others who ran stupid voltage through it to hit 4.6ghz - 5ghz. had theirs die after 3-4 years. mine is still working after 7-8 years of use.

so i got 33% more power for free. people who tried to get 40% ended up shortening the lives of their CPU's.

i always play it safe when overclocking for this very reason. why risk it.

thanks will look into it. that overclock seems like a huge amount. Wonder if you notice any difference in regular usage.

thanks will look into it. that overclock seems like a huge amount. Wonder if you notice any difference in regular usage.

the 2500K was one of the best chips intel has ever released because of the overclocking potential.

you can notice the boost in performance massively because like i said it was a 33% boost. huge difference in gaming.

i may overclock my 7600K in the future. going to leave it stock for now until i have gotten my money out of it before i start tinkering.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom