1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about the JVC HV36P38

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Raze, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A 36" CRT that can: "Component Input: Compatible with HD 1125i format signal"

Is this the only HD CRT TV around? Anyone got it? What its like? Has anyone compared one to a Toshiba Picture Frame 3?

Any info appreciated!

2. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Raze,

In features, this is the same as my 28P37, just with a bigger screen size.

Yes, it is a good TV, but it also suffers from some 'features' (confirmed by other threads on this forum - not just features of my particular unit):

(a) In NTSC prog scan, there is a 'stutter' line which appears every so often (usually about 30 mins into a program), which winds its merry way down the screen for anything up to a minute. Picture above and below this line is slightly out of sync. If you change to NTSC interlace (through component) - this goes away.

(b) Through RGB Scart (Ext 1 or Ext 2), the TV is unable to properly display a 60Hz image - be this pure NTSC, PAL60 or 60HZ from a game console. On Ext 1, the picture turns to composite. On Ext 2, the picture displays with incorrect colours (purples for white, for example). If you use S-video, though, 60HZ signals through Scart are not a problem.

(c) The TV really does like a good signal to make the best of its pq. Freeview DTV signals (through RGB) look noticeably worse than DVD, due, no doubt, to the much lower bitrate. Pic is never less than watchable, but the picture processing (which includes SuperDigipure, Digital VNR, Movie Theatre mode, and Colour Digipure) needs to be adjusted, otherwise you end up with a noisy picture with ringing. On DVD, though, pq is spectacular.

In all other respects, it is a great TV and it CAN do HD. Problem is, I have yet to see it in operation! Panny S97 will scale DVD picture, but not over component - only HDMI. TV has no HDMI in.

I cannot compare the JVC to the Tosh, I'm afraid, as I have not seen the Tosh in operation. I will do in early April, when I go to visit my brother (who has the same TV as you, and a Tosh 340e!), but I doubt you can wait that long. :)

I wonder what the geometry is like on the 36" screen? It is the only thing I can see being different, given the screen size. No idea if it suffers from dirty patches in 36" 'flavour' - it seems that the big screen Pannys and Toshes do.

Hope this helps

3. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Barzo

Thanks that was a big help!

One of the reasons I was considering it was because of the xbox hd output (u need a modded xbox and the hd leads), did u try that yourself? Although must admit that the xbox is coming to the end of it's life now, so the next gen consoles will probably b more standards compliant (hdmi) - therefore the HD ability of the JVC is prob not of much use now anyway :-(

The 36 Tosh I had displayed a perfect picture and its a shame one of the ins was not working - it is something I can live without but as JL will price match 4me, I'll only be paying an xtra 100quid for the surround version with a 5yr warranty! Id be daft not to go for it! Plus I am very interested to see if there are any PQ differences (dont laugh but Im hoping to get the 575 again to see if the bigger bro Tosh flickers! - might be set related as some people had said their 48p with the 575 did not flicker).

Or I might just get a 32" Tosh which is now only about £390! live with that for a few years and get a proper hd set when they come out - why are our silly little choices so difficult? :suicide:

thanks again for your help!