1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about my first basic HTPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by 9761, Sep 4, 2005.

1. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Ive finished my HTPC now and its great but I wish I had a LCD TV atm to get the best quality from my hTPC.

Well I only need a TV tuner card and MCE remote and im done really.

I know the spec may look rubbish but with a tight budget ( very tight!) thats all I could come up with.

2.6b Pentium 4 CPU
    ASrock motherboard that has pci-e graphics port
    512mb pc3200 ram
    250gb HDD
    350W hiper psu
    Coolermaster 620 case
    Gigabyte passive 6600 vinilla 256mb pci-e
    DVD-Rom
    MCE 2005
    audigy 1 sound card.
    Purevideo

Thats it so far. I will be updating it as time goes on, the only thing that is not perfect is the resolution on my screen. Im using component on a Toshiba 32zp48p but I have no luck with desktop and in the middle of the screen the desktop seems to zoom in and cannot get rid of it!

It plays DVD's ok

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    It's better than my PC aside from less hard drive space and RAM, I manage to play 1080i hi-def films without any trouble so rest assured it's plenty adequate for most things other than heavy duty ffdshow usage.

Not sure about the zoom thing, there's various overscan settings in the Nvidia menus, one of them must rectify it.

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,262
    not a bad spec at all really, certainly nothing to be ashamed of for a HTPC.

Mine is:
    Accent Case
    Athlon XP2500
    512Mb PC3200
    Radeon 9600 Pro
    MAudio FW410

and I'm quite happy with it.. haven't changed anything in nearly a year now. (just added the soundcard, but that was as much convenience as quality) ... just add yourself a nice freeview card and you're about done.. ;)

4. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that!

yeah Ive looked in the nvidia settings and in the overscan part of the settings it does have zoom and is selected in the middle but there no where that I can turn it off or even when I click the zoom on a corner I still get the weird screen.

I dont no if it is on zoom in the middle but my screen sort of looks like this ) (the black on the edges.

Thanks for the replies guys!