1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think _ Panansonic TH-42PV 500 or Hitachi 42 PD7200??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by daverob, Aug 31, 2005.

1. daverob

daverob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is it!! The final choice is between the two plasmas - as indicated. Yes, I have seen both in operation, and I acknowledge the small differences between the two - BUT where do I go from here?? Decisions, decisions - please help!!

2. xx396

xx396
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is this a trick question :D

Panasonic

3. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    You must know which one you are gonna go for,are you really going to make your decision based on what people reccommend on this thread.

I had the same choice to make 2 months ago and whilst this forum was very helpful I chose a PV500 all by myself.

4. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I chose the 7200 and am delighted !

Great picture, sleek looks (without the speakers) ...

.... direct buttons for all AV inputs ...

:thumbsup:

5. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I went the 7200 route too. Felt that the PV500 was probably a bit better with regular TV but that doesn't bother me. Most of my viewing is from DVD and they seemed comparable in that respect. I could also get the 7200 a fair bit cheaper than the PV500 which helped to sway it. I prefer the looks of the 7200 too and the final piece of the puzzle, the mrs liked it better too. :)

Not got it yet though. :(

6. zorro

zorro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The 7200 looks great, but can't seem to get it in stock anywhere :thumbsdow

Would ike to order from Curys for the discount, but when I enter my ostcode, it says not available for my location :(

7. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    That also happened to me. It was available Monday morning but I wanted to go see one to take some measurements. When I got back it said not available and I was gutted. Tried a few times through the night though and eventually it let me go through the check out. I was surprised and thought it odd but wasn't going to argue!

8. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    IMHO If you watch a lot of off air stuff the Pannys significantly better especially in dealing with less than perfect signal quality. I actullay use the built in freeview tuner more than I thought as the PQ is stunning.

9. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup - if you're going to be watching Freeview or SKY, the PV500 is by far the better bet.

10. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Very very subjective if I say so myself ... unless you have spent the same amount of time bedding in your Panny sitting side by side witha a 7200 that your also tweaking !

Did you Panny look as good when you first switched it on as it does now, I doubt it !!!

Have you lived with a 7200 for some time and set it up to suit you?

I love my 7200 .. to me its perfect ... I chose it over the PV500 ... would I say it was clearly the better choice for all ???

Of course not, unless I'd had a PV500 sitting beside my 7200 for the past 2 months, I wouldn't be so subjective.

I look forward to your reasoned response ...

11. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any response on PQ is, inevitably, subjective. However, in all situations where I've been able to see a PV500 and a Hitachi showing SKY side-by-side (or as nearly as JL etc. allow), the PV500 has been clearly superior to me. Most HD screens showing HD look great, but since we watch 90% SKY+, that is the most important criterion for me.

Anyway, if you're happy, that's great. I expect that most upper division plasmas will do a far better job on SKY than the earlier models did, so no-one's a loser.

12. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Fine .. however that means comparing with an out of the box PV500 v an out of the box PD7200 and assuming consistent feeds.

I know my PD7200 looked terrible out of the box .. it looks great now.

Given that, and your agreement that PQ is laregly subjective (apart from superb compared to awful of course), you can understand my issue with your initial statement that the PV500 is clearly the better choice.

13. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,328
    I choose the hitachi 3 months ago and haven't had any problems ,the screen gives a lovely pic and has a better design in my opinion .You have to ask yourself is the pana worth the extra dosh i thought it wasnt at the time .
    :)

14. micol

micol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think that the 7200 is a much better looking screen. If I hadn't already bought my 5200 I would definately get the 7200. I would sacrifice a slight picture difference for a better looking set. I dont like the huge black border of the PV500. Just my opinion though!

15. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I forgot to mention the Black level on Hitachi was not as deep on either SD or HD IMHO and this is what made me go for the Panny500 along with the better Freeview Sky performance.

16. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What did you find wrong with the default settings?
    My parents just purchased a pd7500, and the defaults still look stunning, even on SKY, much better than the Sony Wega CRT it replaced (excepting black level).
    Some other threads on pd7200 settings I tried, totally screwed up the colour decoding/management which is fine "out of the box".

The colour settings are on par with my own Sony Super Trinitron (not Wega) KV29X5, which I calibrated with a BBC2 test card (a rare beast - and it was on for several hours overnight - plenty of time to adjust the picture).
    Walking from room to room it's not easy to tell the Sony apart from the Hitachi.
    There are differences of course, but colour isn't one of them - depth, black level, geometry etc.

The Hitachi is much closer to Super Trinitron than to Wega screens, whose digital chassis can impair analogue video.

Having read the Panny problem threads, I'm more inclined to replacing my Sony with Hitachi when it expires.

17. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The Black Enhancement setting on my 7200 is set to 'Medium' and produces deep blacks with no great loss of detail etc anywhere else.

I was worried about this before I got the set but one of my "fussy" mates commented on the 'great blacks' when he got a demo of mine ;)

Can I ask whether the black enhancement setting was on when you saw the set?

18. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had been used to a 42" RP set for the past few years so I've been used to low contrast & brightness and soft colours .. switching on the 7200 was like staring into a bright colour box for me.

I'm sure if gone straight from CRT it would be different.

Admittadly, over the past couple of months, contrast in particular has been slowly upped .. I'll compare settings to default at some point and surprise myself !!

Also, sharpness is now -12 ie almost off, black enhancement medium and all digital processing off.

I know that all needs to change when HD comes along bu I'll look forward to that fiddling :)