1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you put your plasma on ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dfield2000, Nov 19, 2002.

1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For those among you who have not hung your plasmas on the wall, can I ask what sort of unit you put them on ? I've got a TV unit from Ikea which has a large surface area which is needed for my 32 inch toshiba crt unit, but I imagine that if I put a plasma on top of it would look a bit lost on there. I could also imagine that if my young son gave it a push it would easily slide back across the unit and disappear around the back.

Instead of the small stands that clip on the bottom of a plasma has does anyone know of a 'proper' stand with legs so that you don't have to put it on top of another unit ?

Also, can someone tell me if you need magnetically shielded speakers or are plasmas not effected in the same way as CRT.

cheers
    Dave.

2. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, I've seen the 'get your plasmas out fo't lads' thread and I've seen many examples of plasmas placed on top of cabinets.

Are they fully stable like that though ? If the cabinet is nudged do they not wobble ?

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    HI,

I have mounted my Pioneer on my cabinet using the temporay feet supplied. They are bolted to the top shelf!

Pretty stable!

Adrian

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    My plasma is on a cabinet and is stable. Plasmas are relitively light, but not that light. They are therefore stable, and I would be very supprised if it could be pushed over etc. If in doubt you can always bolt it to the cabinet (fixings supplied with my Panny stand!)

Plasma screens are NOT affected by magnetic fields and therefore unshielded speakers can be placed next to the screen without any problems.

Mark.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    dfield2000

Have a look at the Unicol website (http://www.unicol.com/) - you will see a fairly comprehensive range of 'industrial' (ugly) display mounts that you can adapt and hide as required if you want to create a stable floor stand for your display (it'll require a bit of DIY to hide the Unicol mount but worth the effort if you have any worries about toppling the display). Oh and they do have a new TV display type plasma stand on the home page!

If you want something a bit sexier (and are willing to pay a bit more) look to the Swedish company SMS (http://www.sms.safebrackets.se).

We work with/supply both of these product ranges and you can usually put something together to suit most systems - Unicol will even powder coat to order if required.

Mark E19 - obviously does not have a 2 year old bouncing around his house :) they are amazingly strong and persistent (especially when the wrong channel is being watched by the rest of the family).

Best regards

Joe

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers guys.
    That's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. They do look a bit industrial, but when I get a plasma I'd like to put it in the corner using one of those type of stands and have all the av equipment stacked in a small narrow unit against one of the walls. That way it takes up minimal space which is one of the appealing things of a plasma for me.

I've also thought about another mounting technique but I wouldn't have the skill to pull it off. I've seen some spotlights in Ikea which look pretty funky and I think you could adapt the design for a plasma. It's basically two steel cables mounted in the ceiling and anchored to the floor. You'd need them pretty spriung very tight and a distance apart equal to the width of the screen. In theory you could fix the screen to the cables at the desired height. If you put the cables so that the screen was facing out from a corner of the room I think it would look pretty cool to have it hanging there, suspended in midair.

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wish i could say this was my setup

Attached Files:

8. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 50" Panasonic is on an Alphason AD3/93 stand, (£250 from Sound & Vision). The screen stand supplied has feet that grip the glass shelf on the Alphason like s--t to a blanket and it is impossible to knock it over.

9. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The pedestal my panny plasma is on is some 30" x 10" and the screen itself is quite heavyand well balanced ... it'd take some fairly determined pushing to dislodge ... the rubber feet grip well !!

It's on a Soundstyle cherry finish 4 shelf unit ... although I need to make a small riser to sit over the sky+ box ... although my partner is now thinking of wanting it wall mounted after all !!