What do you NOT like about your KDF-50A12 ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Avalan, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Avalan

Avalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've seen enough positive talk about this Sony TV. So let me ask the opposite to those who own one of these. What do you NOT like about your TV ? I'm interested to here the cons from the owners themselves.
    Tnx!

PS: in Belgium this TV has nummer A11 instead of A12, or is there any other difference ?

2. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    The only thing i dont like about the tv is the Screen Door Effect BUt i rarely notice it anymore, apart from that its an excellent tv and i certainly cant complain at the £800 i paid

3. Avalan

Avalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    At what distance are you sitting and at what distance do you stop seeing it ? It's the #1 thing that worries me about buying a 50" one as we will be sitting only 7' away from the screen.

4. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    I'd say i sit about 7 foot from the screen as well and i noticed it straight away but thats because i was looking for it. When i first got the tv i was real worried about this effect and i wasn't sure i could put up with it but i left it a while and after 2 weeks i have indeed stopped noticing it. I have also only notived it in the centre of the screen and usually only on bright white images.

I'm the kind of person that will always find a fault with a tv and i had to make a choice as to what sort of problem i could put up with, i chose this tv simply becasue of the screen size and price, i am certainly NOT dissapointed

5. TurquoiseShark

TurquoiseShark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not enough HDMI sockets, had to buy a switch box. Really the only complaint, but then what do you want for the price? Beware of dead pixels, I had to send my set back twice before I got a perfect picture.

My biggest complaint is, I have this wonderful 50" TV, yet I can never find anything decent to watch from hundreds of Sky channels - but thats hardly the fault of Sony! :)

6. TheBarber

TheBarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I bought mine, I found this site and read lots of posts regarding pros and cons of thsi TV.

Of all the issues highlighted, the only 1 that really bothers me is the black could be blacker. It is too grey! Sure you can fiddle with the settings but then I find that the black becomes too black at the expense of picture detail.

A resonably small gripe really and I can live with it. It is only really annoying because I have read about the issue here and I find myself looking for the problem!!:mad:

These forums are eminetly useful but can also concentrate the mind on specific issues making them appear greater than they are. Either that or I have psychological issues.

7. david230

david230

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Please could someone explain to me what the "screen door" artifact looks like?

I've seen something when viewing in-store that looks like little squares in the image but would that be it?

I will be sitting about 8ft away from mine when it comes..

8. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Only one HDMI socket but seeing as though 1 was the standard at the time in not that bothered. I also dont like the fact its now £400 less than i paid for it lol.

9. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ``Another area where DLP has an image-quality advantage over the LCD is something called the screen-door effect. If you sit close to an LCD, you may notice a faint grid of pixels, much like a screen door, overlaid atop the image. You're seeing the space between the pixels, which is more visible on LCD than on the other two microdisplay technologies. It's generally not noticeable even on LCDs unless you sit closer than twice the diagonal measurement of the screen.``

you probably wont notice it at 8ft

10. david230

david230

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanks for the explanation. :thumbsup:

11. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Just go for it m8, it may have some very tiny problems but a HD ready 50" screen for about £850 isn't to be missed.... Personally i got mine mainly for the xbox 360 and it really has impressed me

12. david230

david230

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I decided to go for it anyway m8, just waiting on delivery at the end of the month. I want to run games on this screen too but I dont have the 360 although my PC is good enough for running hl2 and all the games I play etc. Cant wait for it to come.:D

I will get the ps3 if all the hype turns out to be true.

13. quarryfied

quarryfied
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    For me it's fan noise, i can really hear it from 10 feet away and have to have my cooling fan on all the time so i don't concentrate on it. The odd screen door effect on fast moving stuff (sport) but hopefully that will improve when HD becomes the norm, and free.

14. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    Fan noise, only two scarts, only one HDMI, crummy blacks on poor quality material (eg. Law and Order and many U.S. imports).
    In the handbook it says the TV can output, through one of the scarts, anything that's on the TV. This is untrue as it won't pass an HDMI signal through (which is a pain for me as I use a RF moduluator to 'pipe' the signal around the house).

15. anacz1

anacz1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    although i noticed the Sceen door effect last time i saw the KDF, i didn't notice it the previous 3 times.....most odd!

16. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    is there a smilely that shows a head exploding?:mad:

17. Deer Hunter

Deer Hunter
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The viewing distance required, I sit about 7.5 feet away but feel it needs around 10 feet for best picture.