What do you love or hate about your laptop? Would you recommend it?

mgistr

Novice Member
Trying to decide on a new laptop and I'll appreciate recommendations from actual users. Budget is under $2k.

I'll prefer a brand new Windows PC with great speakers, excellent display (15" to 16" with minimum 1080 resolution), 16GB RAM (or more), 500GB SDD (or more). Would be nice if it has a touchscreen but that's not a dealbreaker.

One thing that IS a dealbreaker is the fan noise. I need something that's absolutely silent most of the time except on the extremely rare occasion when I'm running a heavy task.

I'll mostly use the laptop for Browsing, Excel, Word Processing, and content consumption. There might be the occasional video editing but I already have another [much noisier] laptop for that. If I can get away with an internal GPU, I'll take it.

Games I need to play? Solitaire perhaps. And Sudoku. Or Monopoly, if I can find a good game.

It doesn't need to be thin, light or portable, and a 3-hour battery life would do just fine. It's going to be plugged in most of the time and I'd only unplug to connect with my TV for the occasional movie.

Speaking of TVs, I'll definitely need an HDMI port. USB-A and USB-C ports would also be nice.

Some models I'm looking at already include:
  • Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro 16
  • Lenovo ThinkPad E15
  • HP Envy x360 15
  • Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 15
If you own any one of these, please let me know what you love or hate about it. Again I'm concerned about noise.

I've only used Lenovo at work but they seem quite reliable. Plus the keyboards are lit. Speaking of keyboards, I need one that's backlit with a numpad. The numpad is a dealbreaker.

I'm open to most PC brands but I get the feeling (from speaking with friends who've used them) that HP laptops are not quite reliable. Any long-term HP user that's happy with their purchase should please correct this notion.

Last edited:

elsmandino

Hi there.

Thought I would just chip in and say that, in my experience, HP laptops have been great.

My wife's work, at the beginning of Lockdown, gave her two - one for her to work on and another to allow my son to do his home schooling.

No issues at all with them - and both still get daily use.

What did you end up getting in the end?

mgistr

Novice Member
Hi there.

Thought I would just chip in and say that, in my experience, HP laptops have been great.

My wife's work, at the beginning of Lockdown, gave her two - one for her to work on and another to allow my son to do his home schooling.

No issues at all with them - and both still get daily use.

What did you end up getting in the end?
Ended up going with an LG Gram 16 touchscreen.

Loving it so far except for the shallow keyboard and the lousy speakers. But it's quiet. And the batteries last forever!

Ended up going with an LG Gram 16 touchscreen.

Loving it so far except for the shallow keyboard and the lousy speakers. But it's quiet. And the batteries last forever!
Great choice. I have the LG Gram 14" and it's fabulous! Portable, powerful, quiet. Battery lasts ages. The whole experience is snappy.

Last edited:

KBD

Get the ThinkPad, in my experience they're the best PCs out there next to Apple, which cost twice as much.
Do not get the Yoga. I had a Yoga ThinkPad, it was fragile in comparison to all my other ThinkPads & I've used them exclusively since 2006.

I have two older ThinkPads, older than the Yoga & they're still operating better than the Yoga is today. It does function, but the Wi-Fi is toast & the power supply will short if it gets moved while it's on. The others have been bulletproof.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom