What do you like about the new forum software?

• Thread starter Deleted member 30535
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30535

Now that I've been using Xenforo for some time now, I have to say I do like it and find it more usable/enjoyable than the previous vBulletin. Sure, there's been a learning curve, and there may have been one or two features lost along the way, but overall it's a positive change.

So here's my list of "likes" about what we have now:-

Having the coloured "For Sale" and "Wanted" Tags in the classifieds and being able to filter the classifieds by "For Sale" or "Wanted"
Having a "Digest" mode in the classifieds to view all the sub forum posts.
The ratings system for Likes, Funny etc.
The instant alerts at the top of the page - easy to get to stuff I'm interested in.
"PMs" now known as "Conversations", in which I can still edit my post after sending!

What features have you found useful and helpful?

Please don't have a pop at the things you don't like, as I think the "App" issue has had a lot of traction! Keep it positive!

:rotfl: Can only see tumbleweed blowing through this thread given the ongoing app issues!!!!

I really like the new system - it has been a great rollout. The features that I like:

- the 'look' of it. The forum design and colours look really pleasing to my eye, a great modern revision;
- the ratings people can give; and
- the alerts function which is a nice way of pointing out updates.

:rotfl: Can only see tumbleweed blowing through this thread given the ongoing app issues!!!!
which are entirely irrelevant to this thread :p

I like the majority of it TBH. Some nice changes and visually I like the look of it. (Desktop version anyway)

It renders better than the old one did on the mobile browser on my Lumia 920.

I like the majority of it TBH. Some nice changes and visually I like the look of it. (Desktop version anyway)

I get it, I get it :)

I get it, I get it :)
LOL TBH the mobile version isnt too bad, Just not as convenient as an app or a totally stripped down mobile web version.

Just thought I'd post I do like the new look of the forums. Incase anyone things i'm a moaning bastard for moaning sake :)

Speaking as a member and as a Mod it has been a steep learning curve (particularly as a Mod). But like any change I have got used to it and appreciate the things that are better.

Change isn't easy for any of us, especially those with more than one thing to do... :)

Most of my likes and gripes are to do with modding so not up for discussion. :)

What springs to mind as I lie here in bed?...
I like the fully integrated Facebook login and like system. Google and Twitter login are coming shortly.
I like the way it uses Gravatar to pick up my avatar properly.
I like the ratings system and the way ratings and post count contribute towards a useful trophy points system which can in turn be used to promote members to new usergroups.
I like the new trader ratings system better.
I also like the new, filterable, colourable (by admin to make them stand out) thread prefixes.
I like the real time updating of recent post times e.g. Posted 10 minutes ago. Then it changes to 11 minutes ago etc.
I like the use of CSS classes to certain areas of the forums so they can be styled differently.
I really like the auto saving of messages as you compose them and that they are automatically recalled days later.
I like that it uses a responsive design.
I too like the alerts and how they're so customisable.
I really like the way attachments are uploaded and images are included in posts.
I like the fact that the forum software is being developed by a competent organisation (Xenforo) and will continue to improve.

:)At last an improved update to the software It's a lot better than before Keep up the good work Stuart

Last edited:
Is it just me that seems to have a problem with alerts then? They only seem to happen when they feel like it. And that's rarely

The thing I like most about xenforo is that it makes Stuart happy ;)

The thing I like best:

I've got used to it :D

Is it just me that seems to have a problem with alerts then? They only seem to happen when they feel like it. And that's rarely
Alerts on the website as far as I'm concerned are 100% solid. If you're talking about emailed alerts then I'm certain that will be an issue with the emails being received rather than being sent.

I like the way that i now get to concentrate fully
On 3 or 4 threads,before i was all over the place.
I also like that i've been forced to order a spare battery for my phone,which i'd put off for far too long.
I absolutely love the new mystery tour feature,
I was getting bored with the previous versions,
Now ,just one slip of the finger on seemingly blank parts of my screen can send me to previously unseen wonders of the avf site.

Oh..i 'like' the rating system :)

The thing I like most about xenforo is that it makes Stuart happy ;)
I didn't enjoy the very long, very expensive and very stressful process of changing. But now we're here, it's patently better than vBulletin. It's like moving to a better house. The actual move is horrible. And it takes a while to unpack. Actually it's like moving from a house in a flood plain to a bigger, newer house not on a flood plain. Not a bad analogy, that.

It's been a bit of a learning curve but there's nothing I dislike TBH (although I rarely use the iPhone to browse AVF :)) The best early fix as far as I was concerned was with the background/font colours. Things I like include the coloured tags in the Classifieds; the ratings system; much easier iTrader feedback; the new conversation system which means less frequent clearing of the inbox and outbox.

I quite like the new forum software for many of the reasons already mentioned. The forums are fairly intuitive and easy to navigate, I like the prefixes on classifieds where I can select to view wanted/sales only. I like the alerts so I can see if someone's posted in a thread without having to go to my watched threads. I like that so much of the site is real time and constantly updating.
It's just a shame that there's too so much going on the site is awful to use on mobile devices which is where I do all my browsing.

Alerts on the website as far as I'm concerned are 100% solid. If you're talking about emailed alerts then I'm certain that will be an issue with the emails being received rather than being sent.

They aren't Stuart, I frequently don't get (on-site) notifications and happen upon replies to threads that I should be receiving alerts too.

A massive LOL at the skimlinks on here though, the one that's been inserted into my previous post is for vBulletin! :D

I like the new design, ratings and alerts so I can see things like who's rated my previous posts. I also like the warning when you're typing a reply that others have since posted and you can load those posts without losing what you've typed.

There are a number of things that come together, particularly the alerts.
Now the new menu has been tweaked I am happy with that and sticking to it.

They aren't Stuart, I frequently don't get (on-site) notifications and happen upon replies to threads that I should be receiving alerts too.
You *do* know that you only get one alert to a watched thread? If you ignore that, you don't get any more. Is that what is happening?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom