1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you like about having a DAP ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by samwem, Oct 28, 2005.

1. samwem

samwem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be a naff post, but it's one I've been thinking of for a few days. I'm not interested in "what" DAP you have, more what you like about having a DAP in general.

For example, the obvious one from me is that I can get my collection of circa 200 CD's onto a little box the size of a cigarette packet.

The best thing for me though, is that since I always used to listen to music either in the car, or on a stereo at home that I never really cranked up, I love the way that I can now hear everything that I should be able to… I often find myself tuning into a specific instrument on a track that I never even knew was there, or the subtle sounds that all go to make up the whole, but previously I was unaware of… I guess its opened up a whole new level of listening to me that I never had previously.

So that's my reason. I'm intrerested if there are any others out there.

Mark.

2. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i have to say purely for convenience of having all my music in once source. To be honest i dont enjoy the listening experience now as much as i did when i used a portable cd player, then i used to listen to the whole cd on the way to work, enjoy reading the info etc. ,,now i find myself just skipping through tracks a lot of the time. I now realise that for me, music is more than just availability, it sounds stupid but now i dont feel as though i own my music anymore, might have to go back to the humble cd player :confused:

3. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it kind of annoying when it comes to selecting what music to listen to. So much selection you cant decide what to listen to, its great having so much selection but sometimes i think less choice is better. With a CD player, unless you can be bothered to change the disk, you usually listen to one album and concentrate on it, playing it usually linear, and thus requiring gapless, which a CD player CAN do. I find it particularly annoying when you want a specific artist to navigate to it on the HD5, it takes ages and usually you just forget about half the albums on there (gota love iPod).

To be honest I am starting to wish I had an iPod nano, but only thing stopping me is the lack of gapless and the sound isnt that great. Apart from that and the batt life I would buy one straight away.

I think I use the LINE out feature alot on my HD5, being able to play music through the car or home stereo without a CD, even without a Mp3 CD, is great! But its crap because to change song you have to go up to the player and change it, no remote! What sony need to do is have a cable that can plug into the remote/headphone jack so that you can change songs using the remote control from the stereo, sony are so thoughtless it annoys me.

I think its the size more than anything, tiny and can fit ALOT of music. The PRO's of a DAP are pretty obvious, but what about the CONS? Its definately when companies do half hearted jobs at making them! cough SONYANDAPPLE cough

4. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's nice to have a lot of music in one place 'at your finger tips', but like others I find I'm not listening to whole albums any more or sometimes even whole tracks. There just seem to be too much and the focus (and much of the enjoyment) has gone out of my listening. Havent used playlists, maybe that would help, but I just cant be bothered at the moment, I just shuffle all tracks and set the HD5 rolling.

I think I may go back to using the MD for everyday portable use, I have bought several CD's lately that I havent really listened to properly yet - using MD would solve that. And I can still use the DAP as a home jukebox or for longer trips away..

5. jason5_k

jason5_k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing I like about my DAP is that all my music is there in the one place in a very small box. I too have found myself just listening to some of the albums and unable to find any music that gave me kick that I had not tired off.

BUT now I just put the shuffle on and i'm discovering tracks from well-known albums that I have never heard before and i'm no longer go into overdrive when choosing an album.

6. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    i think the convinience of having all your music with you is brilliant, i appreciated this more so recently when i went on holiday, and was able to take my whole collection with me. i guess downside to ipod and sony, is that if you buy an album on holiday you cannot just load it to the player like cheaper usb plug and play mp3 players because you need to load the software for itunes etc, so you cannot upload any songs unless you have you are on the computer the ipod etc is registered with, but having all your collection with you is brillaint, but again sometimes with so much to choose from its a chore in the morning working out what to listen to! but i dont think i would ever go back to my discman or MD player agian

7. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Put simply, four things:

1) All my music, with me all the time.

2) The chance to rediscover albums I'd never even take off the shelf at home.

3) Knowing I can hear just the right song or piece of music exactly when I'm in the mood for it.

4) No annoying carting around of cumbersome bulk (i.e. CD Walkman, chunky carry case, spare CDs to get you through the day ... )

8. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh yeah I forgot. 20gig USB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE......ehehe thats the reason i got it in the first place.

9. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    For me it's not about the music (well not as much), I mean I use it for tunes whenever i'm out and about, going to work etc, but not really why I bought it. I use it more for audiobooks, previously I used to lend like 50 CD's out from the library which is not fun messing around with that many discs!, annoyed me enough that I only bothered with it a few times. Then I noticed authors doing podcast audiobooks and I couldn't be arsed to mess about putting all the casts onto a CD so it made miles more sense to get a DAP. Next to buy are some speakers for it, I hate having to use the earphones indoors, would much rather have some decent speakers to use in the house.

10. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    On the train a few months ago, on the into work with a mate who's in a band.

ME: "I like the bass line on your new song, it sounds a bit like the bass on 'Canonball' by The Breeders".

MATE: "What does that go like?"

I think you can guess the rest. Without a DAP this wouldn't be possible 99% of the time, unless you have a very small music collection.

I also like playlists. Effectively the same as old cassette compilations you used to spend hours compiling, only quicker, and without the 2x45 minute restrictions.

Steve W