1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you guys know about the Hollywood Plus?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Desmo, May 29, 2001.

1. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,973
    Well? Will this card do what I'm after?
    All I want is to be able to get my computer to output to my TV at a decent res, 1024x768+.

This thing claims 1600x????. It'll obviously decode Mpeg fine as this is what it is designed for, but will it still show my normal computer desktop and any gaming I might want to play on the TV?
    My current graphics card, a Geforce 2 GTS, has TV-out but looks bsolute pants so i though this new card might be an improvement.

2. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,973
    Oh yeah, just thought. I can get an OEM version of this card for £50.
    Am I right in thinking that the only real difference between OEM and retail is the OEM isn't in the fully printed/pretty box, doesn't come with a full manual and isn't shipped with all the crappy free software that you never use?
    Or is there more stuff likely to be missing?

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Well a couple of years ago I spent nearly £300 on a professional VGA-TV converter and that was also rubbish. I think that you will have to accept that the picture won't be that great. I now have a Loewe TV that has a VGA port on the back, it still can only do 640x480 but the picture quality is superb. You could try an ATI Radeon, it's TV out is probably the best on the market.

Jeff

4. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're after sending a DVD picture to a normal TV, then you really are much better off buying a budget DVD player. There really is little point in putting up with the hassle of a PC for the job just to output via s-video or composite to a telly.
    Home cinema PCs should really only be used to output to projectors, where the fantastic picture quality makes the hassle of using windoze worthwhile.

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,973
    Oh, don't worry, I've already got a standalone Sony DVD player that I use for all my films.

I just wanted to be able to use my comp on the TV and I'm also looking at getting a projector in the future so I thought I would start setting up the HTPC now.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The highest res your Tv will support, without looking soft, is 800x600. Should be high enough for most stuff.
    (The Loewe VGA does 640x480p, the 800x600 though s-video will be interlaced and actually at 720x300.)

Rick

[ 30-05-2001: Message edited by: ReTrO ]

7. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,973
    Cheers for the info guys. I think I'll just give up on the idea for the moment and wait until I can get a projector to make the most of it.

8. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have this card

it will only output mpeg and dvd to the tv not the desk top i am afraid . if you did not have a stand alone player and only wanted to out put the dvd to a tv i can say that it puts out a very good picture . in my opinion it sends a better picture to the monitor than a sofware player as well

it is perfect for my becouse i only have a p2 400 and the sofware players allways look a bit jurky

i have to say that on a reg tv the output on the hollywood is a lot better than a tv out on a vid card becouse there is no vga-tv converter it is just a pure pal signal from the dvd , but this is the reason it can only output the dvd

hope this helps
    simon

9. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,973
    Cheers for the info Squid. Looks like it's not what I'm after then :(

Bah. Just have to wait for projector then.
    And it's gonna be a long wait. :mad:

10. siymann

siymann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could get a Scan Convertor, (www.dabs.com - have one for around £60) this gets connected inbetween your monitor and Pc wire's, so it allows you to watch whatever is on your pc (i.e. Winblows desktop, or a dvd) on a TV or Monitor. The one on Dabs comes with a remote control too, to allow you to change settings (i.e. zoom, contrast etc...).

Yeah, The Hollywood+ card only outputs the dvd video to your TV/Monitor, but it does also output Dolby Digital & DTS. I would agree with the last comment that the picture quality is very good (as good as my sony standalone)..
    :D