1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you get for £50 installation on sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by davepuma, Jun 26, 2004.

1. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,478
    What are Sky charging £50 for installation for with Sky+? Surely if you've already got Sky, it's just a case of swapping the boxes over? I am interested in getting Sky+ but the 20Gb HDD and the limited 5.1 sound are putting me off. I had considered a Panasonic HDR/DVD-R instead but I suppose the fact that Sky+ is easy to use (??) is probably a better bet. I would then add a DVD recorder (DMR-E55) to complete the set up.

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    davepuma - As always, it pays to do a little research before asking a question.

It took me less than a minute to discover Sky+ is now £149 + £10 installation if booked online.

Many people have reported numerous problems with Sky+ but I have had nothing major. It is prone to irritating software bugs though. As Starburst says in another thread, the reliability is probably dependent on the quality of the installation, something I agree with completely.

As for the HD, it's 40Gig, not 20. The box will record around 20 hours, if you need more than that - you're watching far too much TV :devil:

Also, Sky+ requires 2 feeds from your dish hence the need for a second cable run. £50 for this work (if done properly) is a bargain. £10 is for nowt! (almost!!) :laugh:

A. Dork

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,478
    Thanks for the reply. I can't find the £149 offer. It was deffo listed as £199 the other day when I looked. I have tried to order online but it says they can't and I've got to ring a number. I'll try again later as if you order over the phone they charge more (apparently). So, basically they're charging for running a 2nd cable from the LNB to the box. If that's it, I could do it myself, although £10 is a bit of a steal.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well look at it like this.
    They are either throwing in a Quad LNB for free with the SKY+ itself or the installation charge covers the supply and fitting of the new LNB including dish alignment check and new cable. They will even replace the dish at no extra cost if they consider it to be of poor quality.
    Considering the Quad LNB itself retails for around £50 and then there is the cost of labour then it's not a bad deal either way:)

5. chilpillphil3

chilpillphil3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Stewart Howie

Stewart Howie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Aye but try ordering it for that it immediately reverts back to the old price, i'm going to try to spend some complaining time today to see if I can get the offer

It does appears to be for new customers only however.