What do you feed your Tosh X32?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by blue2555, Jan 11, 2005.

1. blue2555

blue2555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am joining the Tosh X32 club, mine arrives on Monday!. I want to buy the right recording media and avoid (hopefully) future problems!

I rang Toshiba and they told me I should only buy the following:

(All should be max speed *2)

TDK, Panasonic, Sony or Fuji.

And I should not use any other makes!.

It's really hard to find *2 disk, all I found was fuji DVD-R *4 at Ebuyer.

Would like to hear from other users!

Thankyou for reading!. :)

2. JFBUK

JFBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Datawrite Grey (8x) DVD-R
    TDK (1x-2x) Scratch-Proof DVD-RW

Never had any problems with either. I get mine from here

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Hi,

There have been several threads discussing this. For -RW, you'd best stick with 2x. I haven't seen anyone report any success with 4x. I believe there are incompatibility issues with the standard when going from 2x to 4X for RW. I've used both Verbatim and TDK 2x -RWs. These are still available. Here is a link for the Verbatims:
    http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/details.pl?id=vdvdrw2x
    You can find the TDK ones (scratchless) here http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Show_me_all_the_DVD_R.html

For -R, I use Verbatim 4x, with no problems. I've also seen reports of people using various 8x -R discs successfully.

Mark

4. Alpinestar

Alpinestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ritek G04 / G05
    datawrite titanium

all work well in my rdxs32

SVP - great company

5. blue2555

blue2555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies.
    I guess i will stay with your suggestions. So apart from -Rw at *2, -R can be *2/4/8
    Ritek/datawrite titanium or grey/Verbatim?

1.Are there any other brands that have proved to be successful? Fuiji was rec to me?
    2. How compatible have the -R been in other DVD players?
    3. Any problems noted in reading TDK -RW*2 in a PC?.

Thanks.

6. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had no problems with Infiniti.

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    For me, both -R and -RW worked fine in my 2 set top DVD players and my PC drive.

Mark

8. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Verbatim 8X -Rs - on my 3rd pack of 25 now with no coasters so far. Very reliable but not the cheapest (£8 or something like that at eBuyer). All finalised discs have so far played in everything I have tried them in.

Memorex 2X -RWs. Not a single issue with these either. Again, not the cheapest but they work very well and when finalised play in everything I tried them in.

Just ordered 40 Verbatim 2X -RWs from eBuyer (£2 for 5 so I ordered a load). Hopefully they will be just as good as the Memorex ones. At that price I may buy more and use them for archiving instead of -Rs so I don't waste a disc if I decide I don't want to keep something further down the line.

9. Saxml

Saxml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm strongly considering the Tos X32 which I plan to use to convert old 8mm & Beta tapes to DVD. How easy are the editing features? I haven't heard a word about that. Can anyone run through how to do this?. I hear that the hard drive is great for editing but I don't have a clue how this works. Thanks in advance.

ML

10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The XS32 is one of the more powerful recorders in terms of editing function. However, at first the interface can be a little confusing. The manual is good at the details, but lacks a big picture flow for beginners. Hence there is a recent thread on this site with the start of a user guide.

Once you have learned it, it is easy to use - just not as easy initially; others (e.g. Panasonic) are reported to be easier to learn.

Mark

11. dvbdvb

dvbdvb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been through 20 Datawrite Red -R (x4) all worked fine & playback in 2 other DVD players plus my two Mac computers with no problems.

12. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Just finished useing the Tosh with Datawrite Yellows 4 x and Bulkpaq Orange 4 x and happy to report both recorded and played back ok on the machine and other players in the house.
    Incidently I used the high speed dub and saw that 1hr of recording was transferred in under 9 mins. Is this influenced by the rated speed of the blank disc.
    I presume no benefit useing 8 x disc in the machine in respect of dubbing speed ?

13. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I've just had a batch of Datawrite Grey's and Datawrite Fujis delivered. The recorder gives error 14 with them, as it does with the Datasafes. I think my unit is faulty. It doesn't accept any DVD-R media I feed it. It's working fine with RAM and RW. Not happy - two units down, dare I try a third :(

14. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Took the X32 back, and got a third (and final) machine. Huzzah! For the first time I've managed to actually record a DVD-R.

15. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the firmware version on the working machine???

There have been a lot of reports that the fuji based dyes work OK.

There apears to be a lot of problems with Ritek based dyes but some people don't have a problem.

I wonder if its down to the firmware version.

16. kitschcamp

kitschcamp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Before I got the recorder I had a load of Datasafe's that were Ritek G04 dye which I used with the PC. I bought two lots of Datawrites - the greys (FUJIFILM03) and the fullface fujicodes (FUJIFILM03) - on recommendation from here.

None of them would work in the second recorder (the first had a fault that developed before I could test writing a disc). The third one did with the fuji's, I haven't tried the Riteks with this one yet - I will tonight.

I did check the firmware versions before returning them, and the serial number of the machines, and they were all from the same production run (the stack of boxes were within the same 50 or so serial numbers and all had the same firmware). I have it jotted down at home - I'll post it when I get home. I think it was a simple manufacturing error or bad handling in the store, rather than anything more problematic in my case. My two recorders were the first two be returned to Costco in Derby since they got them in in September. Call me Mr Lucky...

17. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Datawrite Grey's(Fuji03's). They all record fine but compatability seems odd. They play back OK on another Toshiba portable with built in DVD and on my laptop PC. They don't play at all on my Toshiba 340e and a 6 month old Samsung and on an older Pioneer they load but play with stutters before giving up after a minute or two. Another older Toshiba player also does this.

18. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Keith, this sounds like a super deal - I looked on ebuyer and couldn't find it, I only found them at £1.88 each? Can you provide a link?

Or maybe after your order they pulled the offer? :D

Mark

19. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The b***ards have screwed me over.

My order isn't shipped yet, and my order confirmation says Verbatim DVD-rw 2x Rewritable Media 4.7GB 5pack.

Now my online order details say Verbatim DVD-rw 2x Rewritable Media 4.7GB Single disk but have the same item number!

If you search the site for Verbatim DVD-rw 2x Rewritable Media 4.7GB 5pack it returns the single disk!

I have just emailed them and threatened them with trading standards unless they sort it out immediately because they sent me email confirmation with the correct item and then changed it after without my knowledge.

20. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Sorry to hear that. Hope they give you the deal.

Mark

21. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounded too good to be true!

I just cancelled the order as they quoted 3 days for a reply to my email by which time the wrong item would have shipped and I would have to mess about returning it.

Still going to pursue it with them as I think they are bang out of order.