1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you consider value for money?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Sinzer, Jan 26, 2004.

?
  1. I have a short attention span ... 1-2 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Man, wife and kids really hampers my playtime ... 3-9 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have a social life l00sers! ... 10-15 hours

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. My thumb hurts! ... 15-30 hours

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  5. GO out this weekend? Nah, I gotta take over the world AGAIN! ... 30-50 hours

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. I am da hardcore ... 50 hours +

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,116
    Out of interest when buying a game what do you consider to be good value for money?

In all the entertainment areas (games, cds, movies) I usually believe that the quality of a release is based on the amount of time I can play it, listen to it or watch it.

What is your threshold for when a game really breaks even?

Personally, I would say that 10 hours of gameplay is sufficient for me to feel sated, as usually this equates to around 2-3 pound an hour, about the cost of a cinema ticket :)

Of course, I believe some games are extremely good value for money, I currently have 12 days played on my FFXI character, that is 288 hours of my life playing a single game, which worked out to around 8p an hour :eek:

Other games I might only play 10 or less hours but still think it is an exceptional game, ie Ikaruga.

2. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Depends on the genre :p

RPGs should be about 20-30 hours. But if they involve side missions etc then I don't mind them going up to 70+ hours.

I've played Ikaruga for 14 hours and that still feels fresh and enjoyable every time I play it. (Good) Shooters should break even after 5 minutes IMO otherwise something is wrong.

Something like PoP should reach about 10 hours before it starts to feel old. Luckily PoP was the perfect length IMO

Something like VF4: Evo though will last me about 5 years before I get bored of it.:D I honestly don't think we'll see a better fighter than Evo for at least 2-3 years. And even then, Evolution will still be enjoyable

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on the price. If I buy a game in a bargain bin, then I'm satisfied if it gives me one good night of gaming. For instance, I bought The Thing for next to nothing, and even though I only played it a couple of times, I still felt like I got my money's worth.

For a full price game, however, I want lots of replay. So far so good on my XBox games. Halo, DOAII, JSRF, ESPN Football, Timesplitters 2, Splinter Cell, and Munch's Oddysee have all given me 30+ hours of play.

In fact, if it wasn't for some really great deals on XBox games, I'd probably have a very small games library.

4. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,122
    It also depends how you play them. Say you buy a game and then play it constantly all weekend and complete it, then you probably won't think you have got value for money.
    But say, if you only have time to play the game an hour or two ever day or two, then the game is going to take much longer to finish. Although pound per hour play obviously will be the same it probably seems as if you have played it longer.

Greg