What do u think about "object based audio" (atmos, dts:x)?

Conrad

I was going to recommend the Quiet Place series. There are scenes in there where things move across the ceiling and where things move from high to low very effectively.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Could you not try playing any Atmos disc, but have all your base layer speakers disconnected? Leaving only the Atmos speakers on
I can do that (just switch the atmos power amps on) in fact I'm listening to music only my 3010i heights now in all channel surround now

Any Atmos download files I can load onto hard drive?

Cevolution

Banned
I can do that (just switch the atmos power amps on) in fact I'm listening to music only my 3010i heights now in all channel surround now

Any Atmos download files I can load onto hard drive?

Same, but it’s the reverse for me… I simply switch off the Emotiva power amps that drive my fronts, centre, and side and back surrounds, and just leave the Denon AVR on which powers my 4 Atmos speakers…

Damian83

You have confirmed pretty much what I thought since reading your very first post, which is that you are essentially wasting everybodies time, and that this is really nothing more than a troll thread… Because it honestly does appears that all you’re really interested in doing here is, telling others based on your extremely limited experience with object based audio, that you believe it’s basically a gimmick, and are more looking for others that share this opinion to reassure you about your views which you feel you have already established regarding Atmos and DTS:X.

And thank you for mentioning 3D and HDR comparing those to this in your post too, reinforcing the impression I already had of you based on what you have said (I was intending to bring that up, making a joke about it at your expense about how you likely think those are gimmicks as well)… I would’ve easily guessed that you were likely one of those type of people long before you said it, who likely often believes that almost every newish tech in the world of home theatre are gimmicks, and over the years you’ve probably started similar threads on sites like this to say the same about 3D and HDR etc too.

I didn’t confirm anything at all… It seems like you have already made up your mind, and you are simply trying to find things in comments that supports this and your agenda. Nowhere did I say that the technology is used to it’s full potential in every case, however I didn’t state that it is rarely used to it’s full potential either… It’s been pointed out to you by others that the quality of this can greatly depend on the mix (plus other variables), and this same issue is not exclusive to Atmos/DTS:X tracks. There are plenty of 5.1/7.1 lossless tracks that you could say the same about, which have been mixed poorly, and don’t utilise all of the speakers in these configurations well… If you disagree, then just like in this situation with Atmos/DTS:X, you clearly don’t have as much experience comparing these things as you think you do.

Based on some of the things that you have said in this thread, your setup doesn’t sound like it’s adequate to me, and it seems like you don’t really want to spend money on the content… Your viewing of The Matrix Resurrections, and your free demos which didn’t “wow” you, are a long way from being enough to cut it for you to be able to make a creditable determination, and for you to be boisterous about these experiences, using them to inform others about any true shortcomings…
1) No one forced you to join this discussion, wasting your precious time. I only thought that atmos would had been a huge audio experience boost like it was 2.0>5.1, where you hear the difference even in a drama movie, and on a crappy equipment.

2) I never told hdr and 3d are gimmicks. In fact i loved 3d and if i had the choice, ill never change it with hdr. Now after, some time i began to appreciate hdr too, first with games (RE7's hdr was fantastic), and now also with movies (matrix resurrections is a perfect example with all those lights in the night and the sunset on the skyscraper scene). I only said that like it happens with 3d and hdr, where not all movies makes good use of that technology (maybe 10% of 3d movies have a 3d worth wearing glasses, while with hdr, fortunately almost all movies benefits from it), it seems that with atmos its the same...

3) You're assuming too much things. Which will be your next "profiling" step? Saying i'm a pimply nerd that still lives with mom? :)

Damian83

ok i watched (and heared) all possible demos, including helicopter...now i'm 100% sure atmos its discrete. I've also found why i had almost no noticeable height effects before... I wanted to keep it for me, but i'll not lie, and i deserve to be banned for life on this forum... I had cinema dsp mode activated and even on helicopter, there was a lot of sound coming from surround speakers (maybe 70% height, 30% surround), so the reason i thought atmos channels arent full discrete. after ive switched to straight mode, 100% of the sound came out only from height speakers :)

Bradleysteenkamp

Novice Member
One of the best Atmos 4k blu ray discs I've tried is Mission Impossible Fallout. The final helicopter scenes make great use of the overhead atmos channel and they have placed a significant of discrete audio about the listener.

However, I personally haven't found the overhead channels in Atmos to be all that useful. At one point I had mine set up as 5.2.4 and the content using overheads properly seems to be very limited. I also find that some of the upmixing pushed things overhead that can actually be a distraction.

I personally would be just as happy with a 5.2 or 7.2 setup using better quality components than trying to have the full 11 channel setup using cheaper speakers. I've always been a huge fan of Imax and their audio was always incredible even without the overhead channels. Their focus was stunning 5 channel audio for many years.

Dolus

ok i watched (and heared) all possible demos, including helicopter...now i'm 100% sure atmos its discrete. I've also found why i had almost no noticeable height effects before... I wanted to keep it for me, but i'll not lie, and i deserve to be banned for life on this forum... I had cinema dsp mode activated and even on helicopter, there was a lot of sound coming from surround speakers (maybe 70% height, 30% surround), so the reason i thought atmos channels arent full discrete. after ive switched to straight mode, 100% of the sound came out only from height speakers :)
In that case I and many others would have been banned a long time ago for making mistakes. :)

Tricky-Ricky

Sounds like the old "I am underwhelmed by Atmos DTSX+" again, going from a good non Atmos 7.1 setup to Atmos was not quite what I expected, and I was rather disappointed,
However, IMO is very subjective, and I go on the premiss that everyone's perception of sounds and frequencies is different, so some will find the experience fantastic and others not too impressed, that is why I am a firm believer in setting up a system's sound balance to suit individual ears rather than relying on Audyssey etc and leaving it at that believing that this is the only way to do it and being disappointed with an expensive system.

dante01

Distinguished Member
As I said earlier, Atmos, DTS:X and Auro 3D are more immersive, but you shouldn't get dragged into the hysteria revolving around overhead effects. Yes, you may occassionally experience some effects from above you while listening to Atmos soundtracks, especially if you've gone the full hog and installed ceiling speakers, but these overhead effects are not as abundant as many would have you believe when extolling Atmos.

Atmos and DTS:X are not so much about overhead effects as they are about greater immersion.

Are the new object based formats a huge jump compared to earlier channel based formats? No, but they do offer something that the earlier channel based formats could not and do not deliver.

And no, you'll not hear things whizzing about overhead with every Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack you listen to. Not all films include or feature helicopters :)

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I don't have much Atmos content however I had several audiolab poweramps lying around unused, so seemed a waste. Then got new AV pre with immersve decoding...so literally had everything except speakers and cable.

3010i X two pair plus speaker cable and wall brackets x4 weren't too expensive plus eight pair bananas. Probably £400 or so for everything.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom