What do people want to see on DVD-A or SACD??

Floodedstatue

Here we have two formats with the power and potential to change the face of music. There are good stereo recordings and bad ones, but nothing (IMO) can quite beat the feel of a well-balanced surround-sound mix - practically like having the band in the room with you!

But what do we get? We have Dark Side Of The Moon, In Absentia, the Black Album, Machine Head.....there are a few more too.....but not enough!

So what do we want to see? Personally, more Pink Floyd would be lovely. But one thing we dont have much of is grunge. Forget Nirvana (although that would be spiffing!)...what I want to see is Soundgarden 'Superunknown' in surround sound.

Now, I understand this is probably a little tricky with the group having split up, and I'm not sure what terms they left it on. But there's nothing I would love to hear more than 'The Day I Tried To Live', the spoon solo in 'Spoonman' or, more than anything, the first 20 seconds before 'Black Hole Sun' swings into full flow.....

....how great that would be! <sigh> :(

Ian J

Banned
Originally posted by Floodedstatue
But one thing we dont have much of is grunge. Forget Nirvana

I think that the fact that we don't have much grunge is Nirvana

mjn

Distinguished Member
anything recent would be good.

chris

i'd also like to see all recent stuff on sacd/dvda.
They seem to do a DVD video disk, with most new albums now, so why can they not give us a sacd/dvda alternative as well.

ns1col

Standard Member
I would also like to see some more recent releases on SACD. I can only seem to find classical music on this format although Pink Floyd DSOTM is the only SACD that I've got which is the dog's dangly bits.

Colin.

PaulBoy

Well there's supposed to be some Genesis on its way (SACD I believe?) but even with that they are going for the post Gabriel era when The Lamb would be a stunning album to give the multi-channel treatment ...
As to current albums being released - there have been exceptions like David Gray, Fleetwood Mac, Beck etc but the formats need to be pushed more by the record companies - SACD & DVD-A is still a small niche market - if some major players released their albums on CD & DVD-A (or SACD) simultaneously a la Fleetwood Mac perhaps things would change? ...
As to older stuff how about OK Computer / Brothers In Arms / Any J-M Jarre for starters?
Paul ;)

R

rnjones

One Album that really needs remastering and possibly the surround remix is U2 The Joshua Tree. The CD always sounded very mutted to my ears.

I would also like to see

RadioHead the Bends, OK Computer
Pink Floyd, Wish you were here, The Wall, Echoes and possibly Animals.

Anything by the Orb would be top in Surround

Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous remastered in Stereo would be a nice addition.

Rog

mjn

Distinguished Member
what i want to know is....why do they keep releasing old material from the 80's....... ?

PaulBoy

mjn - maybe its because people who were around then buying LPs have grown up & are into AV now!
Paul ;)

S

soundboy

PaulBoy,

"The Lamb" by Genesis is coming on SACD and DVD-A this coming May. "Tricks of the Tail" is being remastered for hi-rez as I type this.

As for current albums appearing on hi-rez, Europe will see Beyonce's first solo album on multi-channel hybrid SACD very soon. We in the States will not be getting this one due to issues involving royalties.

Just listening to Michael McDonald's "Motown" on Universal SACD....excellent old school R&B. It's relatively new release (from last year). I suppose, looking at the material on the SACD, it's aimed at a certain demographic group.

pat clancy

meat loaf,all motown stars stevie wonder etc,jacko,george michael and all ennio morricone stuff on dvd a,pat

the_pauley

Banned
The Beatles - a catalogue long overdue a sonic overhaul.

miniman

floyd, lizzy,radiohead(early stuff),beatles,ac/dc,depeche mode(not live),lynyrd skynyrd,sabbath,john miles,u2,duran duran, a decent recording on dvd-a of carmina burana as the one i have is crap! and some decent multi channel trance and chill out please.

gilesm

Standard Member
This might sound odd, but I've just 'discovered' War of the Worlds in my partners music collection, it's fantastic, I know it's been out for years, but reckon that could be a great candidate for DVD-A, although I guess the chances of this are close to nil.

the_pauley

Banned
As it's a Columbia Records release (owned by Sony) the chances are it will be SACD if anything.

tvr

War of the Worlds is or certainly has been re-mixed for surround sound....That much I do know!!;)

mjn

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by PaulBoy
mjn - maybe its because people who were around then buying LPs have grown up & are into AV now!
Paul ;)

i was more thinking of the quality of the master recordings.

To get the full benefit of DVD-A, we need more new material recorded at hi-res, not just old material up-sampled.

I can do that with my DAC.

samwiley

Standard Member
Massive Attack for sure

.... the thought of listening to Blue Lines mixed for those 6 eager speakers makes me weak!!!

Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works Vol I

PAUL D SMITH

Standard Member
:lease: I would like to see Fleetwood mac- tusk (which according to lindsey buckingham himself )is finished ,fleetwood mac-fleetwood mac-(which there working on ) tango in the night, mirage and also buckingham nicks which there are plans for but they are having trouble locating the tapes which have the indervidual vocals and instruments on.
Also any of the eagles albums pherhaps there greatest hits with all there best songs on.
Both tusk and fleetwood mac fleetwood mac are finished they have both been remasterd by future disc mastering and when i emailed them they contacted rhino who are are releasing them some time in the summer ? so i suggest you keep checking rhino.com.
Contacted rhino ,had email back no plans to release Fleetwood mac-Fleetwood mac or tusk on dvd audio at the moment which is not what they told future disc mastering when i contacted them and they spoke to rhino on my behalf ,rhino are putting my request in the suggestions box ,so come on everyone contact rhino.com and request them ,we might get some action .
Just read on Lindsey Buckinghams website that the master tapes for Buckingham nicks have been found and everyone involved want,s a cd released ,so i contacted lindsey through his website asking what,s the holdup with tusk and fleetwood mac is because they,ve been mastered for over 3 yrs now plus is there any chance of buckingham nicks being released on dvd audio aswell .So as before please contact lindsey through his website www.lindseybuckingham.com and let him know there is a demand for the above plus please contact rhino.com over tusk and fleetwood mac fleetwood mac.

figrin_dan

I would have thought there would be more 'electronic' music mixed in surround. I have the Groove Armada and Beyonce SACDs but they just sound like CDs played back in ProLogic.

I'm hoping the new Prodigy album is released in multichannel as there was a dts download available of one of the tracks.

Turlough

Personally I think the hybrid SACD stereo albums are the ones that will sell. Completely transparent to the buyer and a huge leap in detail when the SACD layer is played. Try just about anything on CD compared to it's SACD brother - especially the older stuff. Surround is great when thoughtfully implemented, as mentioned above, just leave the ones that have no use for it alone.

Mr Blu

I have been thinking about getting an SACD player but heard a rumour on the internet that Sony had stopped supporting this format. Is this true? If I went over to SACD my main priority would be jazz on Columbia (owned by, ahem, Sony, right?). Looking around on the internet, Columbia SACD jazz issues seem really expensive right now (I'm talking 30, 50 quid or more for single SACD Miles Davis issues on Amazon etc). Is this because Sony really have deleted all these titles or are SACDs more expensive than I thought? I would appreciate any illumination from SACD Illuminati out there.

:smashin:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I have been thinking about getting an SACD player but heard a rumour on the internet that Sony had stopped supporting this format. Is this true? If I went over to SACD my main priority would be jazz on Columbia (owned by, ahem, Sony, right?). Looking around on the internet, Columbia SACD jazz issues seem really expensive right now (I'm talking 30, 50 quid or more for single SACD Miles Davis issues on Amazon etc). Is this because Sony really have deleted all these titles or are SACDs more expensive than I thought? I would appreciate any illumination from SACD Illuminati out there.

Well with the exception of classical music it is pretty much a dead format now(with the occasional exception). I'm a fairly recent adopter to SACD and DVD-A myself and my most wanted discs are almost impossible to source, at least without paying extremely inflated prices, reason being that they are no longer being produced.

As I said, there are exceptions, my favourite SACD(which happens to be one of my all time favourite albums) is Pink Floyd DSOTM which can still be picked up for the price of a standard CD, best you can do is have a look at your most wanted CD's and see what you'll be able to get your hands on. Certainly don't hold out much hope of seeing many new albums released on SACD(or DVD Audio for that matter) as you'll be disappointed, blame compressed digital downloads:(

Old thread this one but just to add to the original subject, if only Ninja Tunes had adpodted the SACD/ DVD-A format, would have been a perfect fit and I'm sure most of the artists/groups on that label could have really pushed the boundries in terms of experimentation of true multichannel music.

Theo Maxtible

:smashin:

Like Tetlee, I am also fairly late to SACD, having got my first disc on Christmas 2006. This coincided my my first hi-res player, an Arcam DV137. I deliberatly bought a universal disc player, so that it would support both DVD-A and SACD. I'm unable to answer whether Sony have stopped supporting SACD, but I have been lucky so far in being able to find plenty of titles. I suspect that the reason the titles you're looking for are so expensive, is that they have been deleted. The same situation could occur for CDs or DVD-As.

I use a fair selection of sites to buy from, both in the UK and abroad. A very useful site for looking up SACDs is the following:-

The Super Audio CD | SA-CD | SACD Reference

Perhaps you've already heard of this site? I've managed to buy plenty of SACDs (and DVD-As) at a similar price to CDs.

Just adding to the original subject of this thread, I'd love to see the following. This is just a small selection, as I could go on and on!

Abba
The Beatles (more)
The Beach Boys (more)
John Barry (incl. music with Matt Munro and Shirly Bassey)
Mike Oldfield (more)
Tangerine Dream (more)
Kitaro (more)
Tomita (more)
The Shadows
Pink Floyd (more)
Yes (more)
Alan Parsons Project (more)
Andreas Vollenweider
Deep Purple (more)

Last edited:

Parmenion62

I'd love Made in Japan - Deep purple to be released on SACD also In Rock and Fireball.

Rainbow Rising and Long Live Rock N Roll would also be good.

Mike Oldfield Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge

All Steve Hackett stuff.

2112, Caress of Steel, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres - Rush

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sennheiser Consumer Electronics acquired by Sonova
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play viewers get Android TV homescreen update
  • By Andy Bassett