What do people not like about SkyQ?

I started this discussion some months back when I was considering moving house... And now thats becoming a reality as I should be completing in a matter of weeks and now I need to finalize my decision on Sky..

At the moment I have Sky+ which is broadcast around the house using HDMI splitters.. And I still use the Coax/MagicEye for the Remote and its a perfect solution

But in the new house I have to rethink everything.

My plan has been to take my Sky+ box with me.. And recreate what I have, but this time using HDMI extenders that support IR Remote...

I can't get it out of my head that perhaps this is the time to go to SkyQ.. After all, this will give me a supported and easy way of getting TV around the house.. Allow me to watch different things in each room.. And probably get a good deal as a "new customer".

But I still hear negativity about SkyQ and how some people went back to Sky+.. And I just wonder what sort of things people don't like? Is it all about the Interface? Or is there more too it?

I personally like Sky+ and I really like the fact that using HDMI splitters, I get the same thing on all the TVs.. So I can go room to room, with the same thing playing.. So I fear that SkyQ will annoy me in this regard.

I guess thats one good question.. Does SkyQ allow you to restart where you stopped easily on another box/screen? So say I am watching something in the living room, and then go to bed, can I easily "resume" where I was?

I know this is very vague, but I am a little nervous about all this, as i don't want to go to SkyQ, hate it and then have no way back to Sky+.

Jon

dts

Distinguished Member
Sky Q is a massive upgrade over sky +HD...it's really come of age since its launch in 2016...better picture,dolby atmos sound available on the main sky Q box along with uhd with hdr...its pretty much a no brainer...its faster,smarter and a joy to use.

StefanBFC

It's 100 times better, also depending on your equipment.

Yes you can record the programme on your main box, pause it and carry it on where you left off in another room on the mini-box

Thanks all.. Perhaps I have been a little sensitive to the negativity.. If I could go SkyQ, it would save me a bunch of work?

The MiniQ boxes work Wifi don't they? I ultimately want to run Ethernet around the house so will run them wired.. But having Wifi initially would buy me some time.. And since I am only interested in HD (not 4K) its possible Wifi would be enough anyway..

My next question is whether I tell Sky I am moving and "upgrade", or start as a new customer where I am sure I can get a better deal...

teeveedee

Be aware that minibox capability over WiFi can vary greatly. They actually connect to a 5Ghz WiFi mesh generated by the main Q box, not directly to your broadband, so if they are far away from the main box then you'll either need boosters (available from Sky) or better still, connect them via Powerline adapters to maintain a stable connection, until you have ethernet throughout your new house.
As for getting a better deal, you may find that Sky will give you a great deal for switching from +HD to Q as they are keen to get rid of as many +HD contracts as possible.
One thing to make sure of though, depending on how many mini boxes you want to use, Sky have been sneaky (nothing new there) with some customers who switch from +HD to Q and who say that they don't want UHD. They are being supplied with older V1 Q boxes which are not UHD or HDR capable and can only have one minibox connected to them at a time. You need to ask for a 2TB V3 box which is UHD and HDR capable in order to future proof yourself and allow connection of up to 4 miniboxes. Be aware that even if you have 3 or 4 miniboxes, only 2 can be used at the same time as the main Q box to view Sky content. The others can be used for streaming via apps only.
Remember also that unlike Sky+HD boxes, you only have one box with a hard drive. The miniboxes are all just slaves and use the same planner so anything someone else records in the household will be available for all to see.
That may sound a bit convoluted and it is, but that's how Sky operate. It can all work well, but often takes a bit of work to get things running smoothly.
I switched from +HD to Q just over a year ago and initially hated it but once Sky ironed out the audio issues it has settled down and does work fine now. I don't personally use it much though as I get most of my content from an Apple TV 4K box, but the rest of the family still find it to be good.

Lee

Sky Q is a massive upgrade over sky +HD...it's really come of age since its launch in 2016...better picture,dolby atmos sound available on the main sky Q box along with uhd with hdr...its pretty much a no brainer...its faster,smarter and a joy to use.

Is the standard 5.1 sound any good on the Q boxes? I'm on a free trial of the movies on my +HD box and the sound is still the lifeless rubbish that it was when I last had movies. I compare the sound to Amazon, Netflix etc.

teeveedee

Is the standard 5.1 sound any good on the Q boxes? I'm on a free trial of the movies on my +HD box and the sound is still the lifeless rubbish that it was when I last had movies. I compare the sound to Amazon, Netflix etc.
Variable I'd say. Depends on the content. I've been fairly impressed with some of the Atmos mixes on Sky Q, but in general, if it's quality sound you're after then look elsewhere.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
I got a great deal when I upgraded to Sky Q 2 years ago and with black friday upon us I think you'll get a great deal if you do it now

dts

Distinguished Member
Variable I'd say. Depends on the content. I've been fairly impressed with some of the Atmos mixes on Sky Q, but in general, if it's quality sound you're after then look elsewhere.
As mentioned Dolby atmos can sound really impressive(Sky have their own sound studio for mixing atmos content from its sky original productions and sky cinema originals) and is also used as a training facility for sound mixers.Normal 5.1 is ok but nothing mind-blowing for live channels...but sky cinema for downloading content certainly sounds better.

rs101

Are you watching broadcast or on demand? The audio is processed differently - broadcast has a degree of processing to level out peaks in volume, whereas on demand doesn't. That's an Ofcom requirement for broadcast.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom