1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do people do with borders?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PJTX100, Dec 22, 2004.

1. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm interested to hear what people do when watching DVD's which aren't perfectly 16:9 (ie the vast majority) on their projector.
    Having read the excellent aspect ratios document in the FAQ it confirms that 16:9 is basically the "jack of all trades" of aspect ratios hence when watching 1:1.85 or 1:2.35 DVD's without stretching you'll be left with black space above/below the picture.
    Many people, like myself, seem to have fashioned a matt black border at 16:9 around the screen. This seems strange when it will only nip off the vertical edges, not the horizontal, of most DVD's we own. :confused:
    Do people...
    ...just ignore this and be happy with the stellar pics that get from their PJ :thumbsup:
    ...use whatever stretch capability their PJ has to fill out the screen, albeit at the price of distorting or losing some of the image
    ...use some sort of variable border arrangement
    ...dispense with the border so it's all academic anyway :D
    ...do something else which is blindingly obvious and shows how new I am to all this :rtfm:
    Thanks in anticipation...PJ

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I just use the optical zoom to fill the screen horizontally. I don't worry about borders - if the room is dark enough, you don't notice.

3. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doint get why u would be worred abount the black bits top and bottom.

I have a 6ft screen so when I watch a film that is 2.35.1 it has black bars but un like my old 32inc tv that leave a image that is abount 2.1/2ft high by 5.1/2ft wide so who the hell cares its still blood big. I fined I like 2.35.1 rato films as it gives such good wide vista. I watched I robot the other day and the picter was truly gobsmacking

So like i said I just doint get where the proplem is
    :rolleyes:

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Masking the grey/black borders top and bottom of a 2.35:1 image gives perception of increased contrast...

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    seconded. even on my 32" CRT tv i leave the 2:35:1 as it is. it was the way its intended other wise they wouldnt have bothered

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm not worried, just curious. Many commercial screen seem to have 16:9 borders, overwhelming advice for DIY screens is to add them, yet their main use is to make the menu's look neat. ;) Perhaps the situation is exacerbated because I only use the projector to view DVD's, not computer, games, TV etc.
    I too watch 2.35 with the borders, even on TV, I don't like messing about with aspect ratios.
    Do agree with Comer that borders give perception of improved contrast.

7. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I read about Cokin filters I had an idea about this. Cokin's work the same way as opticians eye-test kit from what I can tell, it's a frame you mount over the lens and then slot in the appropriate square filters to achieve the effect you desire.

So why not cut a piece of square card into a 2:35:1 letterbox and pop it into a Cokin filter to mask the light at the top and bottom? If you could be bothered you could also compensate for films being positioned differently, by making different masks.

8. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just got my self a cokin fillter will be trying it out later

As for the letter box,s mask :rolleyes:

9. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it either bugs you or it doesn't. It sort of bugs me. If I had a cokin filter I'd be making a 4:3 mask as well :D

10. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I've tried unsuccessfully to work out some kind of lens masks but the edge's of the mask are never sharp on the screen.

Maybe i'm doing it all wrong.

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The mask ideas are interesting but I think you're right, the edges look fuzzy 'cause they are not in focus. Anyway, they don't really bug me, just trying to understand why I spent a fair while carefully masking and painting matt black around my screen :D

12. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,835
    I use a 4:3 screen and just use the zoom to make the 16:9 picture fit. I usually leave a couple on inches either side from the vertical edges of the screen

I like to watch it in total darkness as it creates more of a cinematic feeling. I then don't see the edges of the screen anyway.

13. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The problem is that black is not black on LCD projectors, so you can see the border as a dark grey. This reduces the perceived contrast of the picture. I suspect it's not as big a problem with DLP.

14. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guss some people notice theses thinks more that others. But when I watch a film (in total dark) all I see is the film wich is 6ft And bloody big :D

15. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks Mike, DLP gives me the spin so it had to be LCD. Watched a track from an Art Of Noise DVD tonight, (Moments in Love), live concert where they cut together videos from different concerts. It says it's 16:9 on the box, on some scenes it's a perfect fit all round, on others moments later there's a one inch vertical (not horizontal) black space either side. Then it goes back to perfect 16:9 next scene. Switches quite a few times. This seems to rule out any masking techniques. ;)
    Now I've auditioned a few DVD's I'm happy to glory in the 66" 77" 82" whatever diagonal screen and ignore the black (grey) spaces!
    ...PJ

17. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some think that the techys said to me at seven oaks is watch & review the films
    not the kit. And that is such a good point. I do have some nice kit with all the right leads in a dedecated room with the nice chairs and the fance remoto. But when all said and done the point is was the film any good...... :D

18. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Totally agree. Perhaps I need to open another thread asking how to create total darkness without covering the room in black velvet.... maybe not... ;)

19. zombie_donkey

zombie_donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The edges on my PJ are pretty darn crisp, so the aspect ratios, and the fact my screeen is a couple of CM bigger than it should be, do not bother me.

20. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I blocked the window off then wallpaperd over. Stuck the screen up and there you go. no Out side light....

21. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,835
    I use plastic sheeting attached to a net curtain rail. It is spring loaded so I put it up and take it down when I want. I then leave a bit of blue tack down the edge of the window to press the plastic to the window.

I have a blackout blind as well over the front of it. I needed the plastic as there was still a gap of sunlight between the wall and the blind.

22. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    There's two windows in the room I'm using but the curtains are heavy and when it's dark it's total blackout. Point I was trying to make is that as soon as the PJ goes on it does tend to light up the room a bit. And hey presto you can see the border of the screen! Yes i'm sure if I painted all the walls and ceilings black this would improve matters, but I'm happy with the compromise. :D
    ...PJ