• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What do more expensive speakers offer over their less expensive counterparts?

Harkon321

In laymans terms if possible.

Currently have a monitor audio BX centre, BX2s and BXFX surrounds. These are 95% + for film on a 92" screen.

As I'm completely new to the world of AV and have very quickly got the bug. My speakers were bought based on the cash I had available on a budget which I'd already gone well over. (Original speakers were 4ohm wouldn't work with new avr).

So what does a £500 centre do that a £150 doesn't do as well? What do £1000+ L&R offer that their £250 counterparts don't?

indus

Distinguished Member
In laymans terms if possible.

Currently have a monitor audio BX centre, BX2s and BXFX surrounds. These are 95% + for film on a 92" screen.

As I'm completely new to the world of AV and have very quickly got the bug. My speakers were bought based on the cash I had available on a budget which I'd already gone well over. (Original speakers were 4ohm wouldn't work with new avr).

So what does a £500 centre do that a £150 doesn't do as well? What do £1000+ L&R offer that their £250 counterparts don't?

In a word they sound much better.

I've owned MA silver, gold and platinums. Everything sounds better the further you go up the tree (assuming your other electronics can keep up).

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
What do you mean by "These are 95%.." - 95% of what?

How big is the room? (dimensions)

The Monitor Audio Bronze are pretty nice speakers in their price range, and should sound pretty good.

When you are young and broke, it is all about the bass. But as you get older and have a bit more money, it is all about Clarity and Detail. That is what you gain by going to better speakers, and I suspect that is what you would get if you moved up from the Bronze to the Silver.

But, if you moved up to the Bronze 5 or Bronze 6, you would also get an improvement in overall volume capability and impact.

My system is a bit odd, but I usually watch movies with 4 Front Speakers. When I kick the second set of speakers On, I get a +6db boost in output at a fixed volume control setting. That is the advantage of pushing more air.

So, your goals and objectives need to be considered. The question isn't just what do you get, but also what do you want?

But as a broad and general statement, what you get from better speakers is more Clarity and Detail.

To illustrate, I auditioned the old B&W 600 series along side the old B&W CM series. And certainly the 600 series sounded good, but along side the CM, the 600 sounded blurred and unfocused. Keep in mind the 600 still sounded very good, but not remotely as good as the CM series.

How well the goals of Focus and Clarity are achieved between various brands is another matter, but that is the goal.

Steve/bluewizard

Harkon321

Thanks Steve.

95% Films vs 5% or less for music.

Room is 4.1m wide by 3.2m not including alcoves. Happy with the Bronze at the moment just interested in the topic and what future options might offer.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Better speakers will give better clarity of sound and more detail. With lesser speakers you will hear sound but with much better speakers you will start to hear individual instruments in the music etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom