1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do i use for the "rear centre speaker"

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ash007, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new receiver (Denon3802) has provision for a centre rear speaker, either for Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES or for some Matrix 6.0 something or other.
    What sort of speaker do i use? Should it be another "Centre" type speaker like the one that goes on your TV? Surely I don't use half a pair of regular speakers, or do I??

Anyone know?

Thanks,
    Ash

2. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as I know (from recently reading up on this at dolby.com and dtsonline.com), the extra 1 or 2 speakers for 6.1 or 7.1 are classed as rear surrounds (the others are left and right surrounds) so I would expect an extra set of surrounds would do the trick nicely. Did you find a good price for the 3802 (its on my shortlist)?

3. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've an old centre speaker that i was going to sell. Can i use this as the "Centre Rear Speaker" or is this not how it should be used?

Got mine (3802) from www.hifijunkies.co.uk.
    £640- free delivery - came in 2 days - no problem.

I've learnt from a bad experience at another website that its often a good idea to phone/email to check theyve got what u want in stock before ordering.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that soon there will be a thriving trade in selling one speaker and would suggest that if you go that route you try to establish what type of speaker would be readily saleable. I am sure that if you went the Mission 7DS route you would not have a problem selling the other.

There is no reason why you cannot use a centre speaker as a rear apart from the fact that they tend to be an awkward shape. At the least it will give you an idea of what 6.1 will sound like in your house.

Ian

5. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    A single KEF 'Egg' would be ideal - it's discreet and wall mountable, worth checking if any dealers have any spares from split packs of two (I know MDD AV have one because they sold me 5 indvidual ones without the sub)

6. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can of course use 2 rear centre speakers, this is supported by the 3802, an is in fact the recomended route. They will carry the same signal but depending on your room size/shape using 2 may result in a better (less localised) rear sound field.

I have 2 sets of KEF Cresta 1's (cheap from Richer Sounds) for surround L/R and Rear L/R.

7. Tweeter

Tweeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best solution would be to use 1 or 2 bipolar speakers. The 3802 will support either 1 or 2 rear effect speakers.

If all your looking for is 1 rear speaker a bipolar speaker would offer the best sound dispersion as opposed to a centre speaker which may be a little difficult to place without being somewhat obvious.

8. Ash007

Ash007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure whate BiPolar speakers are, or how they differ from other speaker.

Due to the shape of my room, if I had two rear centre speakers they would be very close to each other. As they would both output the same (i presume), i think two would be unnessesary. Do u agree?

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    You need to experiment & play around.

I went thru a pair of Kef Q85´s, a pair of Infinity Quadrapoles, a single quadrapole, back to a single Kef to an Infinity centre speaker (which was about the best but cant be wall mounted in my room), i´ve finally settled on a Yamaha NS90.

I just couldnt get the sound right, it was coming from in front of me instead of behind or off to one side, nightmare!!

Now its spot on and the Yamaha actually blends quite well with my Kef Dipoles, oddly enough!!:confused: :D

10. Tweeter

Tweeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at Richer Sounds Web site, do a quick search for bipolar or dipole. You should find speakers from Mordant Short, Eltax and Mission. I would sugest you try some before you buy and I don't know if you can buy them seperatley, they may well be in pairs.