1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I relace my Meridian 506 with?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by The Duke, Mar 6, 2005.

1. The Duke

The Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Meridian 506 18bit with a Trichord3 upgrade.
    Fancy a change!
    So what's new?
    Usual trick, will sell on eBay, and look for something suitable 2nd hand with the addition of say £500, which should see a budget of a max of almost £1K if I'm lucky.
    I'm all yours - give me your best options for this system!

Thanks in anticipation.
    Tim

System consists of:
    Audio Research LS7
    Martin Logan Aerius i
    Transparent interconnects.
    REL Storm
    Proceed Amp 2

http://www.audioreview.com/Amplifiers/Proceed/PRD_116096_1583crx.aspx#reviews

2. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    You're going to be hard pushed to see any improvement at all I'm afraid. From my retailing years, I'm extremely au fait with all the gear you have there - it should sound nice ! BTW, I once set up a dem using an Amp 2 and an Amp 3 into a set of the B&W THX speakers. Blimey did that go loud ! I did the demo for the customer, which lasted a fun four hours - I had tinnitus for the next two days (we were running well above THX reference levels !) Never heard anything like it - the shops next door even came road to hear what was going on. And it was not like the first powerful amps we'd ever used in the shop...

Anyhow, a Trichorded 506 will be tough act to beat. I'd suggest saving your pennies and looking out for any decent s/h Theta DACS that are knocking about. I did a demo once for a customer with LS3a/D200, Aerius - auditioning a Theta Gen V on a Meridian 206 (the transport was going to be upgraded later). We also had a ProPrime to hand. Both were wonderful - the Gen V especially so. On closing, I stayed all night in the shop running through my collection, because the Gen V had to go back to AS the next day :(

Tried all kinds of CDPs with the Audio Research amps, ML speakers. Meridian and Theta was always the best in that set-up.

3. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about by a Meridian 518 for about £350 to de-jitter the 506 output.

4. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stick with the Meridian, You will be hard pressed to find an improvement.

Have a look at replacing the DAC instead - have a look at the TAG McLaren Audio DAC20, these were originaly £1250, then got flogged off for as little as £250 at one point.

One of the Hifi mags (Hifi World?) gave them an excellent review and demand incresed (along with price!).

5. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not answering your question but would like to know what you think of the martin logan's. For years I have fancied a pair of els speakers. Do they work well with music that has drums etc. Not metal but good old rock. I listen to all sorts as well including classical. I also have a rel strat III sub. Does that help? Cheers

6. The Duke

The Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the acoustics of the room that seem to have most influence and their relative position to the listener.
    You'll forgo some mid range impact and trade it for the "out of the box" dynamics.
    A sub helps, but it may not be necessary - some say it dilutes the overall effect of stereo.
    Either way, you'll need to try a pair before knowing.
    I bought mine on eBay, and reasoned that if they were wrong, then they'd be sold on eBay straight away - the only way I'd know if they worked for me.
    Best of luck!
    They look fab too!

Tim

7. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers. I'm going to speak to a dealler up here in the north who has some els speakers in (quad 988) and see if I can get a demo. I remember hearing a pair of quads about 20 years ago at the harrogate hi-fi show and was impressed by the out of box sound. I think that is what I am after. Saw a review of the final els speakers as well and they look good as a full surround package. Going to keep my eyes open for some martin logans as well. Any particular models I should avoid?

8. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are running quads, positioning can be critical. If you like a lot of deep bass, you might want to add a sub. It depends on your listening of course!

9. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a rel strata III sub. Not sure I would chose quads but at least I can see if I still like the els sound