1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do I need?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Hex, May 14, 2002.

1. Hex

Hex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all very new to all this so please excuse any of my newby type questions :blush:

ok I'm getting the AE100 projector (just waiting delivery) and it's going to be set up and use with my curent system consisting of sky, dvd and normal video.

Now all of my sources go through my AV amp which outputs in composit (great :rolleyes: ) so since I know the ae100 acts better with a VGA type input I need something to convert the composite to VGA.

Looking about people mention the iscan pro and the TV-4000. Now looking at these they have way more functionallity than I'll need!

so I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what I should get!?

I'v seen this

http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/vd-300.htm

which is the type of thing however its not great by any stretch of the imagination. so what do people suggest?

Cheers from the new guy!

Hex

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :rolleyes:

3. Hex

Hex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shud I get me coat?

4. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hex,

Given the price of the cheese box, there's no harm with giving it a try.... see if you can return it if you're not happy with it. I'm not sure if anyone actually has tried one of these units and what the performance is like.

Similar comments apply to the TV-4000 as well .... I suppose.

The iScanPro is the better option... but it's probably half the cost of your projector...only you can decide if that's worthwhile. You could feed the Iscan with your regular video and sky composite outputs. A better option would be to feed the iScan with something better than composite. The iscan won't accept a rgb output from a dvd player, so you might want to buy a dvd player which outputs a component video signal ....... or use the s-video output. You could buy a rgbtosvideo converter to feed the rgb output from your skybox to the iScan.

Again have a look at the comments on the iScan/AE100 combi on posts on the other forums.

Brian

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've got a Cheese Box running on my 19" monitor. Looks alright from 8ft away, looks crap close up. Wouldn't recommend it on the AE100, it adds too much noise into the picture and spoils the blacks so they have no detail. You alos get a lot of greyscaling problems.

Get an Iscan Pro, or save a bit and buy a Centre Stage later.

6. Hex

Hex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys

guess its the Iscan pro then and not use some of its functionality!

Cheers

Hex