1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do i need?!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dts_boy, Feb 13, 2002.

1. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i will start by tellin you what i have:
    pentium 4 1.5 ghz cpu
    512mb pc800 rdram
    30gb ide 7200rpm hdd
    X3 36gb scsi 10000rpm u160 hdds
    64mb ddr geforce 3 graphics card
    soundblaster live platinum
    the rest don't matter!
    i want to be able to use this as a personal video recorder/editer. what do i need to do that? i am thinkin along the lines of a tv capture card but don't know which one! i have not got an aerial in my room (its for a bedroom) but wnat to be able to watch through s video/composite picture captured from an zone extender. the capture device should preferably be pci/usb/iee 1394 as i don't wnat to have to change my geforce graphics card!!
    i have no idea where to start looking and to confuse things i asked for help at PC World!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Probably not what you want to hear but I have yet to see a PC based PVR system that comes even remotely close to the quality of recording you get with someting like Sky plus. Even if you did find a good card it wouldn't be compatible with DScaler so proper deinterlacing would be out. My recommendation to anyone serious about HD recording is to go for a dedicated external solution such as Sky + or a Tivo. PVR was one of the options I had planned for Kryton and if a good solution was available I would have gone for it.