Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What do I need?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by kingsize, Sep 4, 2005.

1. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi everybody.

I have ordered a 360 and I want to enjoy the online capabilities. I would be most obliged if anyone could tell me what I need as I am totally befuddled.

I have a 512k broadband connection (most i can get in my area) - will this be fast enough to go online? Its upstairs and the xbox will be downstairs...

Will I need to purchase a wireless router?

And then purchase the wireless adaptor for the 360?

Will they then communicate with each other?

Thanks for your help everyone.

2. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    yep basically

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    Any wireless router will do, but I would recommend a Netgear or Belkin. You could also just use a ethernet cable if you can run it down any walls, but you will still need a router as sharing the internet connection with your PC is a pain.

4. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    There's no reason to get wireless unless you really need it (it's going to set you back £100+).

Inside the Premium Pack of the Xbox 360 you get an ethernet cable, as well as a month's free Xbox Live Gold (to play games online) - all you need is a cheap ethernet router (with modem inside) - I've got a Netgear DG834 if you're interested, 4 port router with modem inside, £40 delivered.

5. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful responses.

Still rather confused - suppose I have plenty of time to work it out before november..

6. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Confused?

Will I need to purchase a wireless router?

No, a normal wired router is just fine.

And then purchase the wireless adaptor for the 360?

Only if you want to waste £60 on a wireless dongle when a £4 cable will do the same and better.

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Yes, but he does state his internet connection comes in upstairs and his 360 will be downstairs. You can buy a wired router and run an ethernet cable downstairs if you want but this may not suit your purpose as it takes some doing to hide the cable properly.

Assuming you've got an ADSL connection, what may be best is if you buy a wireless modem router, like is shown here, and get rid of your existing modem. Then you can buy the 360 wireless adapter to log into your wireless network.

8. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Do remember that wireless is not as good as wired for xbox live - many people have posted that they have had lag problems with wireless which then disappear when they go back to wired. Of course this problem may be sorted for the 360.

9. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    For the cost though, I seriously wouldn't, you can get a long enough cable so it isn't obtrusive and put it away when you're not using it.

10. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Be carfull if you go wireless, My friend got a wireless router for his computer, His Ntl modem was installed in the living room and his computer was in the dining room, The problem was the walls in his house where as thick as a Nazi bunker and and the router had a very poor signal strength, So he had to move the computer into the living room.
    He gave me it and i have my laptop going wireless ( 2ft away from it ) another computer in the bedroom ( going through two brick walls, and the signal strength is excellent ) and an ethernet cable to my xbox, ( 2ft away from it ). :smashin:

11. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    I have had a wireless connection in my downstairs living room Xbox taking a signal from my upstairs spare room router for over a year now - that's through 1 floor and 2 walls. The signal is about 80% on my G network, and it plays just fine. There is a very slight sluggishness to it and I sometimes get a 1-2 sec stutter once every 10 mins or so (on average), but that really doesn't make it unplayable, for me anyway.

Yes, of course it would be better to run an ethernet right to the box, but I'm not trailing a 20m cable every time I want to go online downstairs. I believe lag can occur also due to having encryption security enabled, so disabling that may help (there are other ways you can make your network relatively secure).

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    I run my Ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs and its quite unsightly. I’ll look forward to the day when I buy a wireless router yet. I’m waiting for technology to settle down though as I find a wireless connections to be less stable than a wired connection, for my needs. A friend has wireless netgear and is always complaining of dropouts. I play a lot of PC-based FPS’ it matters a lot to me.

13. hooded claw

hooded claw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thats what i'm gonna do, but i wont be able to play xbox & surf the net at the same time, so ive just ordered a 20 meter ethernet cable off ebay, cost me £7, job done

14. hooded claw

hooded claw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

exactly, thats what i'm goona do, ethernet to modem,20 meter cable