• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What do I need?

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Afternoon all,

We play all our music via the set up in the lounge by connecting phones etc via Bluetooth to the amp. The problem is we can only play what's on each specific phone.

What do I need to be able to store all our music in one location, browse it from any device and play via Bluetooth?

Also planning on adding Sonos to the bedroom so would want to be able to play to that too.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

wolvesphil

Do you need to play via Bluetooth on the AVR?

I ask because I have a central media server that serves many rooms and can play the music on any networked device. I currently use XBMC for most of my frontends but I also run a subsonic music server that can stream to a number of devices.

To use sonos i think you need a central server? So starting with a centralised NAS / microserver should be a good start...

rs6mra

A good place to start would be to have you music stored on a NAS or micro server as Wolvesphil suggested.
As you plan on having Sonos in the bedroom, take a look at Sonos Connect which would hook up to your existing stereo, read the music stored on the NAS and you can then play independently or synchronise. you will also be able to play what ever music is stored on each specific phone on to the Sonos (android/iOS) if you chose to.
A sonos will also play directly from a PC but that PC will need to be on to access the music.
So your music stored centrally is what you will need - PC, NAS or microserver

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom