What do I need to view a video source via a webpage?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Planet__, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What would I need to be able to view my HDMI sources* such as sky/tivo and PS3 via a webpage on my home network? I'm thinking it would need to be HDMI pass-through as the connections would still need to go to my main tv individually. I thought about the Slingbox Solo but it's not HDMI so a splitter would be needed too?

To make it easier, I only need the audio and video; no remote control is necessary. All this is to integrate the picture of the source into my Demopad remote control software - the reason why the source must be viewable via a webpage.

Thanks in advance!

*I'm only looking to do this for either sky/tivo but more sources would be great.

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can Sky and tv output via RCA or optical ? So feed them into your PC rather than HDMI and then you can capture / feed the audio to a web page your hosting.

3. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm not sure what you mean NX3. Tivo is scart and HDMI although I'm not sure they can output both at once. The Sky+HD (Amstrad) has HDMI, scart, svideo and RF, again not sure if any are active when HDMI is used.

You say feed them to your PC. How? I have no tv capture card nor want this approach.

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I misread your original post. So you want to feed your HDMI sources to a webpage ?

The only way you can do that is to capture via a computer, so the A/V can be encoded, feed to your web server and thus displayed on a web page.

5. fizl

fizl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I think the slingbox pro has a hdmi connection, but I remember reading you may need a specific cable for it to work. A google may help here

6. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A forum member on another related thread pointed me out to this:

Aviosys IP Video 9100

It can only handle 4 composite sources @ 640x480 max but I think it may be sufficent to view the GUI of sky or virgin on a shrunken window on an ipad.

However the more I think about I wonder if there is any new hardware out there that you connect 3 or 4 HDMI sources to it (with pass-through) and you can view each one from the internet or local network via ip/webpage.

The Slingbox boxes only have component, svideo or composite.

The Monsoon Vulkano Blast is interesting but only has HDMI out and no HDMI input.

Anyone know of such a HDMI streamer device?

7. neilalford

neilalford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Followed you here from the DemoPad thread!

I've also been thinking of doing something like you want, but with a slightly different setup. My amplifier has multiple HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs, so I think I would just need a device that can take a single HDMI input with no requirement for passthrough, which might be a bit easier to find.

Obviously, if you don't have an amp with this facility then it's not as simple, but you could get the same functionality with something like this 3 x 2 HDMI Cross Switch. 3 x 2 HDMI Cross switcher allows switching 3 HDMI sources with Dual Displays. (though that particular model has been discontinued, I'm sure there must be similar things around).

Then it's just a case of finding a device that takes a single HDMI input and captures and serves images at short intervals! Basically, an Aviosys IP video type device but for HDMI rather than composite and only requiring a single input. Only thing I'm thinking there, is whether the copy protection functionality on HDMI may prevent such a device being possible!

Another option may simply to use both the composite and HDMI outputs on your devices and just use the Aviosys, though that's not quite as neat and there's always a chance that some devices will toggle between the two outputs, rather than letting you run both at once.

8. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Neilalford, glad you could join me!

The more I search for a device that will take HDMI with pass-through (important for me) and allow it to be viewed as a webpage on the network, the less I believe a device like this exists. Perhaps it is because of the copy protection you mention.

I need pass through because I don't have a HDMI capable amplifier nor do I need one as I have all HDMI sources going straight to my pioneer 500A. I do this so each inputs' settings can be adjusted for the source. Using an av amp would mean all sources would go into one input on the tv and I would have to compromise on the settings to suit all sources.

The Sky and Virgin boxes are the only ones that have multiple video outputs that can be used at the same time. For example apple TV and PS3 are HDMI only so no capturing the composite (at the very least) for the Aviosys device is possible.

Ah well, all I wanted originally was to be able to see sky or virgin on my ipad/Demopad while I'm navigating. It would nice to see other sources on it too, but at this moment in time it's not possible.

I'm going to obtain an Aviosys IP Video 9100A (£90 amazon) and see how I get on!

9. neilalford

neilalford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'll be interested to hear about your experiences, as I may well end up going down the Aviosys route myself, as, like you, I'm beginning to suspect that an HDMI equivalent does not exist, and that even if one did, I imagine it would be considerably more expensive!

10. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Hi
    I'm looking to do the same thing as I saw this in a demopad demo video. Do we know what they used to achieve this ?

11. Porcelain Gods

Porcelain Gods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I believe it was also the aviosys 9100a that demo pad used for their video demo. If anyone does decide to go done this route and needs a hand let me know I can assist if required.

12. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks, and I certainly will when mine arrives :smashin:. A quick question - do you notice any lag between changes on the tv and the mini window on your ipad?

13. Porcelain Gods

Porcelain Gods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is a slight lag, as I am not streaming the video, I am refreshing a jpg image. Although you may be able to use the streaming by adding a web view to demopad and using the http://aviosys_ip/GetData.cgi url rather than the http://aviosys_ip/Jpeg/CamImg.jpg url that I use.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  14. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Just a question.
    Why do you want the hdmi o/p? The quality in the window will be good enough from composite.

Fulltopuk

15. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, composite will be good enough. I wanted hdmi capability so I could capture other sources like PS3 and apple TV which only have one output and that is hdmi.

I did find some PC based hdmi capture cards but the hdcp encryption gets in the way and getting them to run via a web server would be nigh impossible.

A friend joked one way of capturing all sources would be to set up an IP camera pointing at the tv, then making a window for that. It may work, but I don't think so :D !

16. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've found a piece of hardware that *may* allow me to capture a HDMI source and push it to the already mentioned Aviosys webs server.

HDMI to CVBS/S-Video & Stereo Audio Converter

This piece of hardware allows pass-through of HDMI and outputs S-Video and composite. However, there are a couple of issues. Firstly, it's just shy of £200! Also the spec sheet says it doesn't handle HDCP material, meaning no such content will be output through the composite or S-video connections.

I wasn't planning on watching movies in my application, but if sky or virgin output in HDCP mode while displaying the user interface this just isn't going to work.

17. pablo noir

pablo noir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Planet__ did you get the aviosys?
    How have u managed to feed the sky signal into this, while keeping the HDMI output?
    How does it look on the iPad?
    Anyway of taking some video footage?

18. Planet__

Planet__

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Pablo, no I've not got the aviosys yet. I've been so busy with other things but I will do soon. Just so you know, the unit doesn't use HDMI in any way. It takes the composite output of your sky box which can be output at the same time as the hdmi from the sky box.