What do I need to match my HiFi?

flotsam

Standard Member
There is solid information and guidance already in this thread.

In my experience, fit and comfort are key. The best sounding headphones will get little use if they are uncomfortable. Some headphones can be ruled out in the first minute of wearing them. Thus, buy from an outlet with a solid return agreement.

I'm primarily a classical listener and, while there are now better products on the market, I've gotten a decade of constant enjoyment out of my HD650s. You must have a suitable amp for these.

Also worth noting, various models will excel in different ways. When I watch a movie on my computer, I use AKG K-702s for their ability to make speech intelligible. Just an example.

Danial

@Danial , do you mean that you'd like us to implement wireless charging to our products?
Not what I had in mind. I was thinking as a way of attaching the hip dac to the phone, utilising MagSafe (similar to the wallet Apple sell) so it forms a neat and tidy set up. Just a thought!

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
The hip-dac2 is slightly heavier than the iPhone Leather Wallet, so it would most likely need a stronger magnetic connection, but it's a great idea, and we'll definitely look into it. Thanks for that!

eastsoutheast

I tried a number of times to get into headphones without success and like you have a very capable stereo set up that gives me the sound I love. I previously tried Sennheiser HD650 and 700, then HD800 as well as Phillips Fidellio, ALG’s and Beyerdynamics (can’t remember all the model numbers). Never found a sound I liked so gave up. I now have a pair of Focal Clears powered by a Hugo 2 and also a Naim DacV1 both of which sound great and drive the Focals very well. Both amps are supplied with Qobuz from a Bluesound Node 2i and USB audio from my laptop (also using Qobuz desktop).

Between £3000 and £4000 depending on which amp/DAC you choose and much less if you shop around for lightly used. The sound is awesome and the Focals are really comfortable for those long listening sessions.

My stereo system cost the wrong side of £20k but is not overshadowed by the above for SQ.

Paul at HiFi lounge is a great place to start as he has so many options available to demo covering all budgets.

Good luck

Danial

I tried a number of times to get into headphones without success and like you have a very capable stereo set up that gives me the sound I love. I previously tried Sennheiser HD650 and 700, then HD800 as well as Phillips Fidellio, ALG’s and Beyerdynamics (can’t remember all the model numbers). Never found a sound I liked so gave up. I now have a pair of Focal Clears powered by a Hugo 2 and also a Naim DacV1 both of which sound great and drive the Focals very well. Both amps are supplied with Qobuz from a Bluesound Node 2i and USB audio from my laptop (also using Qobuz desktop).

Between £3000 and £4000 depending on which amp/DAC you choose and much less if you shop around for lightly used. The sound is awesome and the Focals are really comfortable for those long listening sessions.

My stereo system cost the wrong side of £20k but is not overshadowed by the above for SQ.

Paul at HiFi lounge is a great place to start as he has so many options available to demo covering all budgets.

Good luck
Thanks for sharing - that sounds like a great set up.

Out of curiosity, what’s your stereo set up consist of?

Thanks again

dollag

Good luck

Can totally relate to this. The reality is my headphone rig is more resolving than my speaker system and it’s very apparent, although, there’s more to a system than just it’s resolution.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
That's probably where I should start, plus more likely to appreciate the difference in quality should I end up going down the route of a high end system.

Got this setup today for a customer.
Meze Audio Classic 99 cans, iFi ZEN Stream, ZEN DAC and ZEN CAN.

A blissful listening experience with plenty of capability.

We were using Roon as the source, which sees the ZEN Stream and ZEN DAC for full MQA playback too :)

C8C7D1F4-DB26-4E55-9106-C519F7E29DC2.jpeg

gibbsy

If you spend £1000 plus on a pair of headphones, which is easily done, then you have to consider getting a good amp to drive them. It sounds that you also require a DAC but as I've never needed one I'll not comment other than so say that it more than likely doubles the cost of a standalone headphone amp.

I use a Lehmann Linear which is currently £765, the same model with the DAC doubles that figure. No matter how good the headphones are if you find them uncomfortable, or fatiguing, after half an hour or so then it's money down the drain.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend my headphones as they are not longer made but I will highly recommend the Lehmann amps.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom