What do I need to look for in a DVD player ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Not A Clue, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I'm new to this whole home cinema set up thing. I've researched plasmas over the last couple of months and have decided on a Panny 42PE50 (not high def).

What things do i need to look for when purchasing a DVD player? At a stab I guess Progressive scan and Divx - is there anything else?

Cheers,

NAC

2. grayus

grayus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good size hard drive ,and a freeview tuner is a must.

3. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,
    I suppose what YOU need in a DVD player depends on your own requirements.
    If you are looking at prog-scan, DIVX etc then most newer players will be able to give you what you want. I have just bought a Pioneer DV-575 from Richersounds for £99.95, and have found the picture quality thru my Tosh TV when using component out (prog-scan), to be excellent.
    The 575 also sounds great with movies and music (given the price anyways), you also get DVD-Audio and SACD playback if connected to an AV amp thru the 5.1 outputs. I have mine connected to a Denon AVR-2805, and can honestly say the performance is really, really good.
    Ok, there are many other DVD players out there that probably would out perform the 575, but at what cost ? For just under a ton, IMHO, the Pioneer is a great buy, it plays almost everything you throw at it, does all the stuff I need it to, and is multi region enabled.
    Read a review here:- www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5045
    and see if it meets your requirements.

All the best,
    Graham.