What do i need to hear Dts through my tv ?

J

jools 2001

I have a Toshiba 32ZT29 Dolby Digital widescreen tv
and a Panasonic e30 dvd recorder

Both the tv and dvd recorder have optical sockets on them.

I have connected a optical cable between them both
and have set the dvd to DTS,
But i still dont get any sound on DTS

Am i right in thinking that i need a seperate DTS decoder
Just assumed that the tv and dvd, because they both had optical
sockets, would allow me to get DTS,

If anyone could put me out of misery, i would be very grateful

regards

jools 2001

I am no expert, but most TV's with dolby 5.1, dont have DTS. Therefore , you either need to get a seperate decoder that can utilise DTS, or set it back to dolby 5.1

Your TV will ignore :dts: completely so you will have to use :dd:. To use :dts: will involve investment in an All-in-One system or seperate receiver and speakers. :thumbsup:

Thanks smashed & gragham c for replies,

Guess its back to argos with the cable then :rolleyes:

thanks again

jools :thumbsup:

Can't you still use the cable for piping dolby digital signals from your DVD to your TV?

GreenBars said:
Can't you still use the cable for piping dolby digital signals from your DVD to your TV?

Have the tv,dvd recorder,sky,and motorised sat reciever,
all linked together using scart leads,so it plays :dd: ,

Just wanted to experience what :dts: sounded like, but looks
like thats gonna have to wait for now :D

jools

SCART cables do not carry Dolby Digital 5.1. Only matrixed Stereo/Surround. You do need an optical cable to get DD5.1 from your player to youir TV.

We were assuming that you had tried the :dd: and had this setup properly, why don't you try it if you havn't.

Thanks to you both for replies,
Think im going to need a bit more advice here.
Is it ok if i pm you both (Nigel and Gragham c )
pdf manauls ive downloaded for my Toshiba Tv, and the
Panasonic E30 dvd Recorder.
That way if either of you have the time, you could have a quick
look at the manuals, and let me know what the exact settings
should be to make sure i am actually hearing/getting Dolby Digital ?
Ive checked on the dvd sound settings whilst playing
"What lies beneath" dvd, and it shows 3/2.1 ?

Thanks for more help in advance :smashin:

regards

jools 2001 :D

Yes that's O.K. but I am tied up till Tues next week. Send it and I'll pick it up as I'm flitting about.

If the DVD player says 3/2.1 then it means the DISC has a DD 5.1 soundtrack on it. Meaning the disc has 6 (5 regular + 1 subwoofer) discrete channels of audio on it, encoded in Dolby Digital format.

However, to get these 6 discrete channels of data into your DD TV for it to reproduce, a SCART cable is not sufficient. You will also need a digital audio connection (which I guess in your case is optical).

Your existing SCART connection can only transfer TWO channels of audio into the TV. Not 6. What DVD players do is to take the DD5.1 soundtrack off the disc and mix it down to 2 channels for use by SCART connectors. They do this normally AS WELL as producing their digital output (ie no settings required).

What the TV can do with 2 channels (coming in via SCART) is to "generate" a surround effect - using a process called Dolby Pro Logic. This is NOT the same as DD5.1. The effects may be similar, but are not as good as true 5.1.

So - to repeat - in order to get 5.1 sound out of your TV, you need to feed it a digital signal from your DVD player, using an optical cable. You may also need to tell the TV that you are doing this.

@Graham, pm sent today. :smashin:

@Nigel, Just noticed that tv manual says put dvd player on scart 3,together with a optical cable, its currently on scart1, as this is where the manual says to put scart from video recorder,as i had replaced video with dvd recorder, i assumed thats where it should of gone.
When i get my decorating :eek: out of the way, will try and move tv out from the corner of room, to swop dvd recdorder scart to scart 3, to see if this gives me the true :dd: effect.

Thanks to the both of you for taking time out to help me out :D

regards

jools :smashin:

My Sony NS900 will convert DTS to standard 2 channel through the scart lead to a TV. However, it loses quite a bit of volume and comes out quiet. Therefore, it is really isn't very good and stick with DD 5.1/2.0 etc though the TV speakers.

Most DVD players cannot do that.

Success at last :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

After changing scarts around, so that scart from dvd recorder
is now on scart 3 on Tv, and changing sound output in tv menu
(what a jungle the menu is in there :eek: :eek: )

Have finally got the tv to play and show it as playing :dd:

Many thanks to everyone who replied, especially nigel and graham
(save you going through those links now graham :D )

Now i can hear kill bill 1 and 2 in glorious :dd: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

cheers

jools :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom