What do I need to get going.

Jonny2400

Novice Member
Hi Guys,

So I have a brand new box fresh technics SL1210 Mk3, which I’ve decided to use to start listening to my old vinyl collection.

I used to DJ back in the day and had a set of 1210mk2 and when the mk3 came out, I ordered one, with the view of ordering a second one and selling the MK2s but that never happened, I opened it, looked at it and it’s sat all this time in its box all this time, never even been lifted out lol.

So from reading it looks like, I need a pre amp, amp and then speakers.

I am planning on getting an Ortofon Red cart, as it seems to be mid level and has decent reviews and I need a cart anyways, but is there a simpler way than above, if I get power speakers I can skip the amp ? Or can I get an amp with has a build in pre amp and ground screw etc.

I am just after a simple and reasonably low cost way to listen to my old collection, not after anything high end, as it won’t be used more than a handful of times per year, just after a basic set up so would welcome any advice or suggestions.

gava

You can certainly get an integrated amplifier that has a built in phono stage.

What's your budget?

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Hey Jonny

Yep - you need your list (plus interconnect cables).

Some good integrated amps have a "good enough" phono stage built in. For example, the new Roksan Attessa, audiolab 6000A, Yamaha As-701 etc all have a quality MM phono stage built into them amongst other features which will be more than suitable for your Ortofon 2M Red cartridge.

If you're wanting something a little more budget, the Pro-Ject MaiA S2 is a little integrated amp with a high quality phono stage and an output of 37w per channel amplifier.

You could absolutely go down an active set of speakers route (such as the KLIPSCH Fives) which feature a quality phono pre amp too. Or you could look at the Q Acoustics M20 HD and partner with a basic phono stage :)

Fives (with integrated phono): Klipsch The Fives Active Speakers (Pair)
M20 HD: Q Acoustics Q Active M20 HD Wireless Music System
Entry level phono stage: Pro-Ject Phono Box S2

Amps:

A-S701: Yamaha A-S701BL Natural Sound Integrated Stereo Amplifier (Black)

MAIA S2: Pro-Ject MaiA S2

Hope that gives you some ideas :)

gava

Good suggestions, but breaking the budget. :)

For a simple and flexible £400 system I would also recommend the Q Acoustics M20 HD, the advantage of this is that it's not purely restricted to playing your turntable, you also have optical, usb, and an extra Aux input as well as Bluetooth.

Just add a phono preamp - but it doesn't have to cost £150... a lot of options starting at...

Amazon product

Another alternative which will take the quality up quite a few notches for around £550:

and a pair of active pro monitors

muljao

On this website (I've no affiliation)
Thread 'NAD C316BEE V2 & Rega FONO MM' For Sale - NAD C316BEE V2 & Rega FONO MM

Might be a good start, would likely get a deal if both brought -edit amp has built in MM phono stage

Last edited:

acgingersnaps

am planning on getting an Ortofon Red cart,
I wouldn't. It's not a great cart. For not much more you can get an AT vm95ml or a Nagoaka MP110. Far superior IMHO.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
It’s really hard to get past the Q Acoustics M20 for tidy convenience and by all accounts they are very good.

If you’d prefer separates, than these will do a very good job indeed.

DT79

Distinguished Member
I am planning on getting an Ortofon Red cart
I second NOT getting a 2M Red. Your Technics and your ears deserve better. AT95ML is the budget pick.

If you can stretch to it a 2M Bronze is lovely and you have a future upgrade path with a 2M Black or 2M Black LVB stylus when you wear out the Bronze, if you wish.

Jonny2400

Novice Member
I second NOT getting a 2M Red. Your Technics and your ears deserve better. AT95ML is the budget pick.

If you can stretch to it a 2M Bronze is lovely and you have a future upgrade path with a 2M Black or 2M Black LVB stylus when you wear out the Bronze, if you wish.
So, I ended up buying a new SL1210GR, one of the online sites was offering a free 2M blue with the GR, so I got Richard sounds to price match it, so got the SL1210GR with M2 blue for £1280, £20 below list price.

I got DT40BT active speakers and the P400 preamp, which sounded okay, but had terrible ground loop issues, So just picked up the CA solo preamp today, overall am very pleased with the sound now and have no ground loop issues with the CA preamp.

I done short YouTube video comparing the GR with my MK3 SL1210

I will point out, that the Gr has really grew on me since that video and I appreciate it more for what it is, in comparison to the older versions it feels rather different, its hard to explain unless you have them sat side by side, the GR is a heavy rock solid robust turntable, but it feels a tiny bit flimsy compared to the OG, but it’s not flimsy at all .. hard to explain lol.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom