Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What do I need to do to my PC hard drive before I use it in Sky+?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Steve237, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm thinking of using the 60Gb Maxtor 6YO60L0 from my PC (it's only been used for around 9 months), because according to a guide on digitalspy(http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=156344), they recommend the Maxtor 6YO80L0 (which seems to just be a slightly different size at 80Gb) and it means I can upgrade my PC drive to something with 8Mb cache.

Does anyone think it's worth the effort to do this? Will I notice moving from a 2Mb cache HDD to an 8Mb cache on my PC? If so, do I just do a standard format of this drive I'm going to use from my PC?

Perhaps I should just do it the easy way and buy a new one and use THAT for the Sky+ box to save all the messing around...?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think that may be the thought that crosses a lot of people's minds, Steve, since you can get 160GB drives for about £60 :)