What do I need to do to make my PC htpc ?

smashed

Sorry, I am sure you get this question 1000 times over in the forum, but I am confused even after reading the sticky.

I have a Dell 5100, which is P4 3ghz HT, 1024MB ram, 250gb, but only 128mb X300 SE graphics.

I want to be able to play DVDs thru my PC, onto my Sanyo Z3.

The things I would like clarifying are:
If I download Powerstrip, could I run this to the Z3 and get decent image quality from DVDs or HD downloads?
Can this be done with XP Home or do I HAVE to have Media Centre version of XP ?
Is my graphics card good enough for this? And can I get this to the Z3 ? (Would that require a VGA - HDMI converter?)
Im hoping that it will be a simple thing to do :)

Any help greatly appreciated

Rob :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 39241

You basically use the projector as a big monitor, you don't need powerstrip or Windows Media Center - there are many possibilities but Theatertek and ffdshow would be a good starting point.

You need to connect the projector to your pc via VGA or DVI (or DVI to HDMI) and set the resolution and refresh rate to one that your projector supports and hopefully to the native resolution (1:1 pixel mapping).

smashed

Thanks for your reply :)
My PC has VGA and DVI outputs, and the Z3 takes HDMI and VGA.
Will I get better quality from using the DVI to HDMI route? Im sure I read that somewhere before.

Cheers again

D

Deleted member 39241

smashed said:
Thanks for your reply :)
My PC has VGA and DVI outputs, and the Z3 takes HDMI and VGA.
Will I get better quality from using the DVI to HDMI route? Im sure I read that somewhere before.

Cheers again
Probably, but try both - the VGA will probably look quite good.

paulmcp2403

use dvi or hdmi leads ....vga (I beleive) is not a pure digital signal .

mrm3

smashed said:
Thanks a lot.
I will have to give it a bash and see how it goes, then report back :)

Good Luck.

I have a Z3 and running on Dell 5100 too. Though when I got it I upgraded to the x600 as was only about £15 more. These 5100 make for very good HTPCs as they are silent. Got the 5100 so cheap with a Dell pricing mistake.

I used VGA-VGA and DVI-HDMI. Good pcitures with both. Never really worked out which one I prefered but left it with the DVI-HDMI and use rone's settings (do search).

These 5100 has been every bit as good as my other HTPC on an LCD which is far more powerful etc.

Think you may get some benefit on upgrading the gfx card at a later stage to a passive Nvidia 6600 or such like.

The only downside is the onboard sound does not have spdif for sound side on things if you want to run into amp and therefore needs one of the 2 free PCI slots.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom