• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What do I need to buy?

ydraiggoch

Standard Member
Hi,

Firstly, I apologies if this is in the wrong forum!

I am looking for a music device that can access my networked hard drive and stream all the music that I have stored on it.

From what I understand, to do this with a good user freindly interface, I would need to go down the road of a Sonos Connect or a Squeeze box. But would I be right in saying that these devices wouldn't use my networked hard drive as they simply act as their own storage, then I would need to buy various 'stations' to play the music?

For information, I currently have an ASUS N55U with a 2TB Passport HD connected.

All I want to do is access the music from this on a good music system with a good user interface.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

reevesy

Distinguished Member
hi mate
...there is a dedicated section for music streaming so probably better to get the mods to move this psot
http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamers-network-music-players/

sonos and squeezebox will stream from you network via wireless or wired...personally i think this is more reliable and smoother than plugging in a usb storage hard drive...but many use it like this with no problems

...no experience of sonos but have used a squeezebox touch for a few years...your passport hard drive will just connect to the squeezbox usb and will 'search' for your music ...takes an age if you've lots

squeezebox is now discontuined but can be bought second hand

..as i said more questions you may have would be more easily found in the music streaming section along with a dedicated squeezbox touches owners thread.

...great player/device in my opinion

cheers

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
ydraiggoch said:
From what I understand, to do this with a good user freindly interface, I would need to go down the road of a Sonos Connect or a Squeeze box. But would I be right in saying that these devices wouldn't use my networked hard drive as they simply act as their own storage, then I would need to buy various 'stations' to play the music?

If looking for a complete setup that can stream then more info is needed
What is the budget?
Do you already have amp/speakers or is that also a requirement.

As already explained, a sonos, SB and most, if not all media players can access network stored music or usb. And quite a few can be operated using i-thing or android app.

Denon dnp-720ae / dnp-f109
Cambridge Audio NP30
Marantz NA7004
Pioneer N30 /N50

Other than the sonos sonos & SB above are a few other popular media players but there are others.

If wanting to have a 2 or more for multiroom purposes, best to keep same brand for precise music synching and only need 1 app to control all.

Squeezeboxes can still be had secondhand but prices are rising. Even for the V3 Classics.

However there are other ways of having SB type media player. If you are adventurous, you could buy a nettop and run it headless using LMS and control it using a android app. An good external dac would be handy also.

As said, the streamer section can give you more info.

There are also mini hifi's that can stream
Marantz MCR603
Denon Ceol

Last edited:

ydraiggoch

Standard Member
Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

Connecting the HDD to the Sonos or that type of player wouldn't really be an option for me as I use the HDD for other media streaming purposes in the house. Ie streaming film and photos to the TV.

I can also stream music too, but only to the living room where the TV is. I was hoping to do the same in another room. But it doesn't look like it's quite so simple.

My budget could stretch to £500 but it'd have to be good!!;)

Thanks again

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Are you looking to stream from a) 1 from room to another setup in another room or b) to have access to the same music library from different rooms?

If a) then that will not be easy without cables travelling between the rooms to connect to a another setup.
If b) You will need some kind for central storage on the network (i.e Nas, HTPC, etc) that wll be accessed my multiple streamering devices with their accompanying setups in different rooms.
It could be wireless or wired. If wired, for the streamer that is in a different room to the router, then i would recommend using Homeplugs to attach to the network.

So for what you want to achieve it looks like you be needing 1 or 2 streamers and a NAS drive of some kind. You could use your pc for storage but that would require it to be on all the time when you want to play music or if you have a spare desktop, you could run that headless and just used for storage. But for practically silent running, less power consumption and footprint, I think a NAS is your best bet for a central storage device.

The budget will cover all the media players listed in previuos post and will probably allow for 1 streamer and a nas drive or just might make it possible of getting 2 streamers without a nas, but more than possible if went second-hand. You even possibly get all 3 bits. If you need other bits, then you may need to add to the budget.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom